Brake line fittings

I'm going to be replacing my brake line for the rear brakes today.

The truck is at my buddies house 30 min. away and I would like to pick up the stuff on the way there.

I did somne searching on here and found out the hard line size is 3/16" but 3 different sizes of fittings.

What size(s) do I need to replace the line from front to back?

I did just replace the line from the front brake valve (under the master cylinder) to the rear height sensing proportioning valve above the rear axle. The lines are 3/16 as you said, and IIRC the only size fittings I encountered were 3/8 and 7/16. Make sure you use line wrenches and not a regular open end wrench.

The original line was two pieces with with the coupling just in front of the gas tank, I replaced it in 3 sections. The front section is a PIA because of all the bends required to get from the top of the engine compartment to the bottom without interfering with the steering. I used 2 60" lines and one shorter one which I believe to be 40". The shorter one I used for the front, with the two longer ones for the relatively straight shot along the frame and to the rear valve. I did have to make a small zig-zag to the front and back along the frame rail to use up a little extra length.

I did not replace any other lines as the rest seems to be on okay shape.

I do believe I replaced the air box to have easier access to the front brake valve block. All that's needed for that is a regular metric socket set with a few extensions.

My tally:

3 length of brake line

2 couplers to connect the sections together

2 3/8" / 7/16" line wrenches

1 metric socket set

2 brake adjusters (mine were rusted stuck)

2 quarts of brake fluid (bled the old dark brown fluid from the whole system)

3' 3/16" hose used for bleeding. 1/4" may work better.

1 empty, clean mayonnaise jar used for bleeding

Good luck!