engine swap?

ok so first off i know this is going to sound ridiculous but just humor me.

ok so i found a comanche today, its an 86, 4x4, 5-speed, with the v 6 engine, and amc rear d30 front. so i am looking specifically for a 4 cylinder due to its ability to get 25ish mpg. so... how hard and what issues am i going to run into if i bought this thing and then swapped in a 4 cyl? I'm pretty sure its got 3.55 gears which I'm sure will be an issue... but yall let me know what you think?

is it even feasible or am i hanging out in imagination land?

It's totally possible, but also totally impractical. The v6 is carbed, the 2.5L is fuel injected and you'd need to swap over all the wires from the engine bay and a lot of them from under then dash.

3.55s won't be an issue. 4cyls with the 4 speed manual came with 3.55s. If the 2.8 can turn 3.55, then the 2.5 will not have a problem.

If you're gonna bother with it, you will have to swap all the wiring over. Try to get a newer MPFI system if you can.

The advantage is they at least used the same transmissions, so you'll just need the motor, manual flywheel, and wiring.

A 3.4 swap might be good option. They have good power and are efficient. It would make a good swap.

If you can find one, probably be a good idea. Then you wouldn't need any exhaust modifications, so it would actually be less work. Either way you're doing wiring.

3.55s won't be an issue. 4cyls with the 4 speed manual came with 3.55s. If the 2.8 can turn 3.55, then the 2.5 will not have a problem.

If you're gonna bother with it, you will have to swap all the wiring over. Try to get a newer MPFI system if you can.

The advantage is they at least used the same transmissions, so you'll just need the motor, manual flywheel, and wiring.

what years have the newer mpfi?

and i found a complete 2.5 engine out of a 97 for $400. is that a good price? or should i keep looking?