1986 MJ 2.8 to 3.4 Camaro SFI

I know the feeling on the wiring. I did put a relay in mine but when I purchased a new used 1991 Comanche fuel tank and pump I did not know they are supposed to be quiet. This one had to put ear plugs in and then I even when as far as putting belting around the tank hopefully quieting it down. Alas the pump quit and had to get another one, this one I couldn't even hear it.

Did learn one other thing when you put a fuel injected pump in the fuel level sender is backward so I had to resolder the wire at the other end of the reostat now it reads empy (when empy) and vise versa.

New aftermarket air cleaner and road tested, she spits out the water with an 18 lb cap per camaro. :headpop:

I used a compression leak tester the kind that changes color from blue to yellow if cylinder gasses are present, now I have to contact the wrecking yard to see what they will do, I have a 90 day warranty on it.

Has anyone had issues dealing with warranty in a wrecking yard that would lend me some assistance I sure would appreciate it?

records????

....i don't remember which fuses in my aux fuse boxes do what lol. the wiring connectors are custom, and i don't recall what is what, which really isn't a huge problem anyways. the in-line fuel pump is off of a late 80's ford v8 truck with MPFI because i didn't want to buy a 4.0 tank and fuel pump...although now i have a H.O. fuel pump and a 2.5 fuel pump that i can combine to make a good one to drop in my "new" tank...that will make some things easier, and alot quieter.

my clutch system is all custom-built due to flywheel thickness differences, motor mounts are camaro, radiator is 4.0, intake tubes are off of some other 3800's and are cut and modified, I can't fit any sort of factory air box in the thing, got a MOROSO in-line filler neck for the radiator, rad. hoses are from IDK what (new, but i just grabbed what would fit), vacuum hoses are pretty much custom-done and so are my temp. and oil pressure sending units.

all in a day's work. :D

so, does the 3.4 have a head gasket leak?

Am not sure which gasket, head or block. Let the wrecking yard know today and really reluctant to do anything and swears it was running fine also idled for hours with no problems. All I know the water goes out the pipe. I do not even want to tear it down to find out, I should have put a zipper on this engine. Oh well

:cry:

• 1 month later...

Now the wrecking yard cannot locate another 3.4 so they let me tear it down to inspect for head gasket leakage and to have the heads tested. Thought I would post a few pics and maybe get some insight.

• 10 months later...

Won the wrecking yard ordeal, they were really good and was going to look for another engine instead I offered to do the labor and they did the parts. heads tested good looked like a gskt problem. It runs great am glad I did it.

my last post was intended and finished months ago been riding the motorcycle for awhile now back to the jeep which developed a problem. If anyone wants a challenge I would be more than grateful for advise;

My problem for the last 3 months now is: Engine dies when it feels like it, doesn't matter if its cold or hot or what day of the week it is. Sometimes it will run for one week other times 2 weeks and once in a while every other day. Does not start back up right away, sometimes it has to set for 5 min. other times 20 min. (It gets better), if I disconnect the power wire and battery for a few minutes then reconnect it will start right up. Today I did the routine and almost called a tow truck after 1/2 hour.

What is current and have always had from day one was a low voltage fuel pump code 54. I have replaced the in tank fuel pump with a walboro, wired it direct temporarily to the battery and jumped the wire from pcm signal to 12v and still get the code. I run with a code reader all the time plugged in to catch anything unusual, one time I caught a code low speed crank sensor so I replaced it. When it dies now I can't even read the PCM. I have ran the engine with every sensor disconnected except the map just to see what would happen, it didn't matter. I have replaced the fuel filter, air filter, plugs and wires, TPS, oil level, oil pressure, crank pos low voltage sensors, ICM and PCM. I ohmed all wires at PCM to fuel systems wiring (good), bypassed PCM fuel pump signal with toggle switch to insure fuel pressure was not an issue. I have a 3100 core that uses the same injectors and swapped them out. Took it to a GM mechanic to let him tinker with it and he couln't figure it out. There's more but I think it would be confusing to keep going and besides this is too long of a story I think which I appologize.

had a similar dying issue with the 3800.

turned out to be the sleeve for the power feed in the connector to the coil packs was rounded out and not always contacting the pin. pulled it out, reshaped it, never had the problem again.

you're running a relay for the fuel pump yes?

Yes I am using a 50a bosh 5 pin relay.

If you are talking about the pins where the coil packs slip onto the base ICM they are flat. I will check the terminals for the power wires to ICM today and reshape anyway..

Thx