1986 MJ 2.8 to 3.4 Camaro SFI

Almost completed my project, just waiting for the air cleaner set up. Anyway am new here a just thought I would pass along any information someone may need on the swap. Just want to return the favor to all the individuals that helped me during my search for information. Every little tid bit helps

S/F :D

Almost completed my project, just waiting for the air cleaner set up. Anyway am new here a just thought I would pass along any information someone may need on the swap. Just want to return the favor to all the individuals that helped me during my search for information. Every little tid bit helps

S/F :D

ford! :mad:

j/k man. welcome here.

care to post up pics?

...I did the next step up with the 3800 camaro v6 (a bit more involved) but wouldn't mind doing a 3.4 swap at some point. did you keep the EFI, or go to carb?

Kept the SFI, wanted the HP and torque, sure runs alot cleaner and going up the hills with pressing 1/4 on the gas pedal was very impressive. Can't wait for that air cleaner.

I also have a guy at work that knows alot about the 3800's, he's done a few swaps and races it.

:D

Kept the SFI, wanted the HP and torque, sure runs alot cleaner and going up the hills with pressing 1/4 on the gas pedal was very impressive. Can't wait for that air cleaner.

I also have a guy at work that knows alot about the 3800's, he's done a few swaps and races it.

:D

good motor. i'm holding out for a new 3800s/c for my next motor...that, with an ax15 would make it very impressive in my truck (I can't keep AX5's together behind the 3800...but i drive with a heavy foot)

I'd like to see pics...if you can't post them, maybe email them to me at snow_freak20@hotmail.com and i can post them.

How do they get inserted, I will keep trying

this is a free site (idk how it works) which means you can't upload pics to it.

you need a hosting site. I suggest photobucket.com it's free, and unlimited uploads. just register, and upload from your computer.

then, once uploaded, click the IMG code line under the picture, then paste it in here...remember to press enter after every code paste.

not too big of a deal to do.

I plan on cleaning it up when done, I just had to try this transformation to see if I could do it. I will do more pics later have to search for another fuel pump. I procured one from a wrecking yard with the tank and it went out today.

VERY clean! jamminz.gif

how did you like the wiring?

...her'es my pile of wires :P

n69205416_31318667_1409.jpg

and current engine bay (few more things to change...)

n69205416_32701015_3750.jpg

n69205416_32701032_8424.jpg

n69205416_32701033_8694.jpg

what did you do about the VATS system (blue wire pin 55 on the ECU)...you need a bypass module for it (bought mine from bakerelectronix, but you can make one with a couple diodes and such)

I do not envy you, that wiring looks tough, I took my time and double checked my tags and still I missed some like the pink ones. Didn't know I needed them until I saw a blog in the LS1 section. Some guy said hook up this and this to hear it run so I did. It was magic, I really had a problem (scared) to hook up the wrong wire and fry the PCM.

Do you have the GM manuals ? :bowdown:

When he said do it- we did and did not have to worry about our backs then like we do now!!

I ordered a bypass chip from a company in arkansas. attached the red to B and blk to grnd and the blue to Connector C #23. It only cost me 75 including frt.

On your wires are you going to remove the ones you will never use ?

If I ever have to pull the Engine I am removing as much as I can. I think it will add to the confusion researching problems later. 8)

i pulled everything i'd never use from the wiring harness before i even finished yanking the old motor. that build is actually done except for the small "upgrades" I want to do to it.

my problem was that i powered the fuel pump straight from the pcm at first :thwak: but didn't screw up the pcm since the 3800 has a positive from the pcm to the fuel pump relay. at the point i built my truck, i'd never done wiring like this before. this mishap cost me $120 for my inline fuel pump (ford v8 pickup with MPFI late 80's) before i realized that i forgot the relay for the pump.

I don't have gm manuals, but i do have access to alldatapro.com...so i got the complete connector views and pins and wiring diagrams with that. from there, i decided what the engine needed to run.

as for the bypass module, the one from bakerelectronix is like $45 shipped or so :P.

i am in pendleton quite often and i have never seen a comanche there. in fact once i get all the electrical problems worked out, i am heading down there to visit some ol friends of mine.

nice looking mj you get there though.