4wd?

voltageyz0

not hard at all:

I am new to the build your own rig and I did it.

1.thing make sure your axle gears match front and rear

2. your going to need a tranny and t-case form a 4wd and both drive shafts.

3 Cost- depends on what you want for axles, tranny and t-case

If your not going hard core i would pick up an XJ donor for like 200 or so and go from there it does not need to run but would help so you can test the drive train. Pull axles out and slam them into you rig.

At this point I would upgrade the rear axle to at least an 8.25 or the 8.8 or the D44. The front axle leave open and I would say you would be good up to a 34" tire or so.

Really the front axle is going to be the worst part of this deal there are your upper and lower control arms brakes and shock that need to be taken off and then the axle will come out and put your 4wd back in.

The rear axle unbolt u-bolts drop it out weld and then weld up new spring perches and on your new axle slide it under the truck bolt axle up and go.

Now this sound easy it really isnt that hard.

Here is a right up I did about taking the front axle out:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... 40&start=0

Do a search on it. I know there's at least 4 threads on it in the tech section.

This should probably be there too.

But yeah, it's pretty easy, especially if you can pick up a donor XJ for a couple bucks that has literally everything you need other than your rear driveshaft.

Was 2wd.....Now 4wd....All from Craigslist.....about $180.00....Paint/Wheels/Lift....Another $130.00 all from craigslist.

Spend about 2 weeks calling and emailing Craigslist people for the parts, then Buy them all at once. Takes about 1 day to remove everything, and another day to reinstall.....Thats when it starts the Nickel/Dime Process for the rest of your life. ;)

I did mine for fairly cheap. Trans I already had, stuff to turn the 4wd Ax-4 into an Ax-5 was free, D30 was $70 (spent $325 rebuilding it), linkages and front DS was $10 I think. Got ahold of a spare 2wd rear shaft that I had shortened, just over $100 for that. The donor trans was already an external, but got a new slave($47), and clutch kit($130) anyway.

Rest was just time.