Another Wheel Question

Just purchased:

RC 3" lift

31x10.5x15 tires

Want to get:

Crager Soft 8s 15x8 with 4.75" backspacing

Question:

I already know with the stock Wheels the LCR can rub. My question is with cahnging the backspacing by 1/2" from stock am I creating a new issue with the flares rubbing. I don't want to cut the fenders. Any issue with the back?

With 4.75" BS tires and 31x10.5" wide rims you'll rub your tires on the lower control arms at full lock.

I'd recommend going with 4" BS on the Soft 8's.

That also allows you to run a larger tires in the future if you ever wanted to and still have plenty of room for clearance.

With 3" of lift and 31x10.5" tires with 4" BS rim you shouldn't rub your flares.

It will vary on if your running the correct length lower control arms with that amount of lift. But from our experience the RC 3" lift with 31x10.5" tires and 4" BS Crager Soft-8's won't rub anywhere even at full lock.

Doesn't the use of less backspacing bring your tires out further. I guess my concern is rubbing the wheels flares in the front and back. So a 4" BS should be OK?

Yes. I have about the same lift, same tires, and use Mopar Ravine wheels w. 5" BS. I did rub on the LCAs at full lock but fixed that by installing WJ LCAs. No problems front or back with the flares. You should be okay with an inch less BS.

Doesn't the use of less backspacing bring your tires out further. I guess my concern is rubbing the wheels flares in the front and back. So a 4" BS should be OK?

No, it won't be okay. At 4" of backspacing, your tires will hit the flares in the front AND the back. Lift does not affect this -- the tires still "stuff" into the same wheel wells. The only way to prevent it is to extend the bump stops far enough to stop the tires before they can touch the flares. That severely limits articulation, so it's a solution for a street vehicle but probably not a good solution for a trail vehicle.

If you want 31x10.50s to stuff without hitting the flares and sheet metal, you have to stay with the stock rims.

No, it won't be okay. At 4" of backspacing, your tires will hit the flares in the front AND the back. Lift does not affect this -- the tires still "stuff" into the same wheel wells. The only way to prevent it is to extend the bump stops far enough to stop the tires before they can touch the flares. That severely limits articulation, so it's a solution for a street vehicle but probably not a good solution for a trail vehicle.

If you want 31x10.50s to stuff without hitting the flares and sheet metal, you have to stay with the stock rims.

HUH!?! :roll:

This is NOT true. My wife's XJ ran 31x10.5 tires with a rim with 3.5" BS and never once touched the flares with the tires and we never bumpstoped with this setup. I can't even count how many GLXJ members are running the RC 3" lift with 31" tires and have NEVER had an issue with rubbage at full lock or while flexing.

I don't really have a good photo showing the front stuffed but here is the rear stuffed into the rear wheel well with the RE 3.5" lift. You also have to remember that the XJ has smaller rear wheel wells than the MJ does.

100_1286.jpg

100_1287.jpg

We also ran 31's on stock rims for awhile before she bumped upto 33's and I'll be the 1st to say I HATED how it rode. The stock rims sit to far inward and you feel SOOO unstable while driving. It's a night a day difference between having stock offset (backspacing) and 4" or higher BS.

We bumped up to 33x12.5's with the SAME LIFT with 4" BS and I trimmed littlerly a 1" x 3" peice at the bottom of the front flare and that is all I needed for clearance even while wheeling.

Shot with the stock rims and 31's, look how much further they sit in than the photo below with 31's and 3.5" BS. (her's in the smaller of the 2)

100_1580.jpg

100_1225.jpg

Well, I did say should be okay in italics regarding the 4" BS. But I have run 31s with 4.5" backspaced Jeep wheels for a couple of years and there was no rubbing anywhere. Of course, this was on the street too. :cheers:

I don't really have a good photo showing the front stuffed but here is the rear stuffed into the rear wheel well with the RE 3.5" lift. You also have to remember that the XJ has smaller rear wheel wells than the MJ does.

Ummm ... the rear tire is not in any way "stuffed" in either of those pictures.