exhaust system size

my mj came with a new exhaust system from the po.according to what i found out at the parts store,it's too small.the parts guy said it should be 2.25"from the back of the cat to the end of the tailpipe.mine is 2.25 at the muffler inlet.2.0 at the outlet and the tailpipe is 1.875.will this hurt performance? the truck seems a little weak when i step on it and wind it out to higher rpms(2500-3500).truck is 2wd,4.0,5 speed,3.07's removed and replaced with 3.55's.

pretty sure mine is 2.25 all the way back (stock or replacement stock stuff) and yes smaller pipes will constrict some but i can't tell you for sure how much.

if you're looking for optimum everything from what i can tell 2.5" is the best size for some backpressure but freeflowing

Sounds like someone put a 4-cylinder exhaust on your 6-cylinder truck. As commented above, unless you spend a lot of time at wide-open throttle, it won't hurt and it might help.
i checked at napa and the catalog shows the same size 2.25" exhaust for the 4 cyl system. i think the po went to a muffler shop that made the system on a bender and the guy used the wrong size stuff.probably on purpose as the cards that come with the pipe bender tell you what size pipe to use.maybe he was out of the right size pipe that day.

Muffler shops will use smaller pipe to save $$$.

Ex wife had a geo prizm. Had Pied Piper redo the exhaust a while ago.

I end up with the car, go to replace the muffler and have a heckuvatime trying to fit a stock replacement 2" muffler onto a 1 5/8" pipe!

But she got a GREAT deal on the exhaust work...

My Suburban had the same problem. Supposed to have a 2 1/5" exhaust. Had 2" from cat back when I got it.

And my MJ? Well, it currently has swiss cheese for an exhaust system. At least that is what it resembles.

i checked at napa and the catalog shows the same size 2.25" exhaust for the 4 cyl system.

What year did you have them check? The '86 used a smaller exhaust on the 4-cylinder. In '87 or '88 they standardized on the 2-1/4" for both engines.