Parts swap 2wd to 4wd MJ

Hypothetically, If I were to start with a 88 MJ 4.0 liter 5spd 2wd with D44 rear and I wanted to go 4wd with a 2.5 liter 4x4 MJ, will I have all the parts needed to get it done? Anything thats not compatible or should be changed? Also does the 5spd need anything?

Thanks,

Greg

The 2.5L trans won't bolt up to the 4.0

The t-case is a 21 spline input and won't bolt to the AX-15 (the trans I hope you're looking for)

You need a 4x4 trans. Get an AX-15, not the Peugeot

The rear axle is weaker than your 44 and so you should plan on re-gearing your 44

The driveshafts are likely the wrong length

The front axle, assuming it's 4.10, might be good for you. If it's 3.55, then not-so-much.

The 4wd shifter handle assembly should work just fine. :D (although the linkages might be wrong)

Nothing wrong with 3.55s Pete :P

Question...why are you parting out the 2.5 MJ? You don't have to use a Comanche for the conversion, you can probably find a junk Cherokee with everything you need for faily cheap. All you'll be able to use from the 2.5 is the front axle, and you'll need to re-gear one of them, the handle and maybe the T-case.

What's your budget? Jeep used crappy gear ratios with the 4.0L (yes, 3.55s suck in my opinion, especially with a stickshift and 33s) until the Rubicon TJ came out. Since I imagine you're keeping the Dana 44 axle and regearing, I would plan to regear both axles to 4.56.

What I would look for:

non-CAD front axle, preferably with the 297 U-joints

AX-15, preferably with the external slave

23 spline np-231 to match (or 242 if you want the AWD option)

It is possible to get all these on a single XJ

Yes the transmission is the same. But KEEP YOUR 44. The 35 is junk. Most likely that 30/35 combo will be geared 3.55 and your 44 is 3.07, so you'll end up re-gearing one way or another.

The question you need to ask yourself is....

Would you rather find yourself a manual or deal with swapping it over to an auto?

Hey thanks for the help Geo. Tomorrow my brother is going to look at the cherokee for me. Like I said its a 90 4x4 auto with a 30/35. So will the transmission and transfercase will be compatible with the 44?

Now you say do I want to go through with changing it to auto.... do you mean this as just a personal thing or is it a major project converting to auto?? I guess I would have a new list of parts needed to be rounded up. (steering column/linkage)

Also I want to change the color of the interior from the dark blue to gray. Can I use the door panels and dash out of this cherokee? Is that all compatible?

The manual to auto swap is a little bit of work... so if you're really set on using an auto go for it, but IMHO you'll be better off finding a manual.

If you do use the auto, you will not need a new column or linkages or anything. Just use the floor shift kit from the cherokee. Most guys go from the column shift to the floor shift, cause the column shift sucks.

The dash between the XJ and your MJ are completely identical. The door panels will only be identical if the cherokee is a 4 door. Front doors of a 4 door cherokee are the exact same as comanche doors.

Only a few of the other panels will be the same though.