Interior Switch Pictures Illumination

I recently added a set of fog lights to my 87 MJ. In doing so I used the factory switch which has the standard fog light symbol. Behind it you can snap in the standard dash illumination bulb with orange/black wires. I figured that this would light up at night when my headlights are on. Not only does this not light up, but the 'headlight' picture above the headlight multifunction switch doesn't light up either (never noticed before).

Headlight symbol and bulb style I'm trying to describe.

Now my gauges, clock, and HVAC controls all illuminate when I pull the headlight switch out and rotate it counter clockwise, but neither the headlight picture or the fog light symbol illuminate. I tried to use a test light to see if I was even getting current and ended up blowing the 'INST LMPS' fuse.

Is the headlight picture suppose to light up with the lights on? The only thing I haven't tried that I can think of is a new bulb, which I will try and do next. Other than that I'm out of ideas. Any body got some 'bright' (pun intended) ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

I'd say replacing the bulb first is your best bet. Did you pull it out and look closely to see if the filament was broken? Anyway, if you haven't bought them before, #37s or #74s will both work from Advance Auto. I haven't tried the 74s, not sure what the difference is, they list the same wattage on the pkg, so I don't think one is brighter than the other. And yes, the headlight symbol should light up.

These light bulb sockets are scattered throughout the dash, I'll have to try the other ones just hanging out aswell. But if all of them are out, is that a clue of somesort?

I did look very close at the fillament and its so tiny that I couldn't decern if it was damaged or not.

What's that green wire in your pic? Not original - did you tap in on the fog indicator for something else?

Green wire taps into the headlight dimmer switch so the fogs go out when the hi beams go on. Need to do this to pass inspection. The green wire is factory from the harness which my switch came out of, also listed in the Haynes manual as light green.

What's that green wire in your pic? Not original - did you tap in on the fog indicator for something else?

Green wire taps into the headlight dimmer switch so the fogs go out when the hi beams go on. Need to do this to pass inspection. The green wire is factory from the harness which my switch came out of, also listed in the Haynes manual as light green.

Oh that's right, UB in VA, land of the vehicle inspection Nazis. :D As far as that bulb symbol above the headlamp switch, it's just a symbol, there's no indicator lamp behind it. At least on my rig there isn't. I was just in there a couple of days ago.

did you try putting in a new fuse that can handle more amps?

No, just put another 5wt in there. I don't think the dash lights need more than that. I blew cause I was probing it with a test light, I'm sure I shorted it out.

As far as that bulb symbol above the headlamp switch, it's just a symbol, there's no indicator lamp behind it. At least on my rig there isn't. I was just in there a couple of days ago.

Thats good to know, I was searching for it by reaching up under there and had no luck. Then visually I couldn't see anything, probably nothing there then.