Seat Belt Replacement

My driver's side seat belt just took a dump (broken female clamp, and the belt inertia reel retraction is almost non-existent). I have replacement Corbeau Moab buckets, and intend to replace the factory belts with aftermarket, but was not planning to do all the work until Spring (i.e. fab new seat mounting brackets and belt attachments). But now I need to at least replace the one belt.

Has anyone replaced the factory belts with aftermarket four or five point belts? Did you use the original lap belt mounting points? Did you cut up the interior trim panel to fit the outboard portion of the belt, or just remove the trim entirely?

I figure I can mount the shoulder belts through the rear of the cab, with a substantial backing plate to prevent pull-through. Any better ideas?

I suppose as a temporary fix, I could find a replacement belt, but don't want to if the upgrade is fairly straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

Just remember that 4 or 5 point harnesses are NOT legal for street use. We have 4 point harnesses in our YJ, but we also kept the regular OEM shoulder belts for driving on the street.

Thanks for the reminder. I have four point harnesses in my Lotus, and have never been called on it, but there's always a first time, right?

You didn't mention what was wrong with the inertia reel. Mine failed a couple years back. It wouldn't retract. I took it apart and found the spring was broken. I took it out and reversed the wind on it after I taped the broken pieces together. Yes, taped. There is plenty of spring length and the taped end is securely buried in the center. It might not be as strong retracting as it was initially and the belt is shorter than the distance to the break. I figure I'm good for the rest of the vehicle life. Besides the retracting mechanism has nothing to do with occupant restraint. That is the inertia part.

I bought a pair of THESE for mine and they work great.

Received the belts, and just tried to install the DS belt, and am having no luck. The original bolts don't fit through two of the fastening points (the lower two) so I'm forced to use the bolts they supplied, which are too short to fit through all the carpet/padding/ etc. and reach the mounting points.

Okay, so I should just get some longer bolts, right, or tear out the carpeting? Even though I shouldn't have to if the kit is for a Comanche?

Nope, the bend or 'dog-leg" at the mounting end of the buckle side is the wrong direction to match the angle with the transmission tunnel. If I mount it the way it should go (i.e. so that the belt angles away from the tunnel), then the belt when fastened will cover up the push button release! :headpop:

I'm not sure if you got a different set? Mine is marked "Universal Seat Belt, 3-point retractable belt w/ center push buckle, 48mm X ____"

It's driving me nuts, and there are no instructions, of course.

Mine doesn't have carpet so I did not have that to deal with.

I do recall having the issue with the bend being the wrong way. I had to get creative with a hammer and make it bend the way I wanted it too, but it was only a minor thing and easy to fix. I did have to use the bolts that they supplied as the stock ones will not work...but, you already know that.

They are definitely "universal" belts and do require a little finesse, but it was no big deal for me and only took about 45 minutes to install both sides ;) .

I am sorry that I didn't mention the "universal" thing when I posted previously, but I did not remember it because it was an easy fix and did not stick with me as being a problem :cheers: .

Mine doesn't have carpet so I did not have that to deal with.

I do recall having the issue with the bend being the wrong way. I had to get creative with a hammer and make it bend the way I wanted it too, but it was only a minor thing and easy to fix. I did have to use the bolts that they supplied as the stock ones will not work...but, you already know that.

They are definitely "universal" belts and do require a little finesse, but it was no big deal for me and only took about 45 minutes to install both sides ;) .

I am sorry that I didn't mention the "universal" thing when I posted previously, but I did not remember it because it was an easy fix and did not stick with me as being a problem :cheers: .

Well, that answers my questions. Thanks.

I'm also tearing the carpet out of mine, but so far only the front portions. I could get longer bolts, as well.

I suppose I could do the same bending also, but aren't you concerned that bending the part with a hammer might have weakened it?

And doesn't it seem strange that it's bent the way it is? I can't conceive of a mounting point that would make the part correct as supplied.

I didn't really bend it the other way...just kind of flattened them out and the angle of the floor put them right were I wanted them. The bolts that came with them worked fine for me, but as I said...I have no carpet, just the rubber floor covering came in mine.

I didn't really bend it the other way...just kind of flattened them out and the angle of the floor put them right were I wanted them. The bolts that came with them worked fine for me, but as I said...I have no carpet, just the rubber floor covering came in mine.

I just got mine fitted. :bowdown:

Rather than flatten the mounting flange, I got a couple of longer grade 8 bolts (~1/2" longer) and a couple of large nuts. I used the nuts as spacers between the flanges (on each end of the belt) and the trans tunnel/body rail, in order to space the flanges out from the mounting points a bit. In particular, with the buckle end, this allowed the mounting flange to go ahead and bend the wrong way, then still clear everything as the belt curved back towards the seat.

The bolts went in, cinched up tight, and Bob's yer uncle. jamminz.gif

These old trucks just take a little "engineering" sometimes to get things done, but that's half of the fun ;) .

Very true. And the belts appear to be good quality, especially at the price (other vendors sell the exact same belts for up to $130.

But, I think that their advertisement of the belts as a specific application for the Comanche is a bit optimistic (to put it charitably). :brows: