piston rods

I'm getting readdy to build a 4.7 stroker motor :D and i was wondering what is the best way to clean the piston rods can i sandblast them or just soak them in some degreaser? also where can i get a complete gasket set cheap? i called around and found the cheapest Fel Pro gaskets for like $103 for the upper and $33 for the lower parts of the motor, is this a good price for these?

Thanks Lower Jeep

stroker, and cheap gaskets don't mix. buy quality unless you want to take it apart again

no, you shouldn't sandblast the piston connecting rods. you run the risk of destroying the bearing surfaces for the wrist pin, and the surface for the rod bearings.

you CAN clean it using a bead blaster (media cabinet, a.k.a. a smaller version of a sandblaster that uses either very fine sand, or glass beads depending) but be careful on the bearing surface.

I'd probably clean it with a parts washer, and call it a day once they're clean and dry.

stroker, and cheap gaskets don't mix. buy quality unless you want to take it apart again

no, you shouldn't sandblast the piston connecting rods. you run the risk of destroying the bearing surfaces for the wrist pin, and the surface for the rod bearings.

you CAN clean it using a bead blaster (media cabinet, a.k.a. a smaller version of a sandblaster that uses either very fine sand, or glass beads depending) but be careful on the bearing surface.

I'd probably clean it with a parts washer, and call it a day once they're clean and dry.

Absolutely agree...

You do not want to go "cheap" on anything when building a stroker, you will only cause yourself grief and end up costing you more money than it would have to do it right to begin with.

There is a group of "Jeep Stroker" folks that have a Yahoo group right now and will very soon have a website & normal forums. These guys know their stuff about strokers so keep an eye out for www.JeepStrokers.com to be up and running within the next few days hopefully.