Request for a headliner DIY

Sup fellows. I just removed my headliner. It came out pretty easy, but like mentioned many times on here the layers are separated on the edges.

I have read where you's use fiberglass matting and resin to build the material back up. Would someone please post up a DIY on this?????? pleaseeeee.. :bowdown:

I know how to mix the resin, but what about application?? Should I use a weave or chopped and just lay it in/on the liner after brushing the resin on?? And another big issue in my mind is the edges. What will I need to do there??

Should I just make a mold out of plaster and mold me another liner from it??

I just got off the phone with Dynamat, and was discussing with them what to use on the top of the roof. The top of my liner was burnt from the roof heat. (Black truck :roll: )

So I'm going to do the roof and around the cab in Dynamat to keep the sun's heat from frying the new liner..

Thanks in advance!! jt

OK so I decided to go ahead and start covering my headliner with resin... All I can say is DAM!!! This thing sucks it up like a a biscuit.. I gone through 2 qt's of resin so far.. Bad thing about it is my resin isn't geting hard like I want it too!!!!

I don't know if its just because the headliner is sucking it up and not letting the two parts bond or what.. I have a feeling I'm going to be screwed here.

Going to let it dry/harden and report back the situation.

you're supposed to mix the hardener in with the resin

and it takes at least a few hours to dry.

check my 3800 build thread, this page http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... &start=120

thats how i did mine and it took 3.5 quarts, with the hardener mixed in.

I know you have to mix it.. I was just amazed at how much it just sucked the stuff in.. Its still a lil tacky but is starting to firm up real good. I did one corner with glass so far and then just started pouring the resin on and smoothing it out with a filler spreader. Ill probably go ahead and make up about 2 qts and soak the glass in it, and then start setting the glass on. I'm doing the top side of it and then around the edges. I really don't think it'll need it on both sides.

So far its added about 5lbs to the overall weight :eek:

On another note, I had a pretty big rip/tear on one edge, I didn't want it to keep separating, so I used some krazy glug to bond it.

Man that crap started smoking like crazy!! It worked realy good though, If anybody does take their headliner out and it only has a few tears then I would suggest using the super/krazy glue on it.. The layers love it! It works really really good, for tears.

don't soak the glass...spread the resin while the glass is laid onto the headliner on the headliner.

you WANT the liner to soak the stuff in...otherwise all you're doing is adding another layer, not bonding the layers. the reason that the fabric falls is that the bonded layers spread apart...

this is my experience and my technique...

don't soak the glass...spread the resin while the glass is laid onto the headliner on the headliner.

you WANT the liner to soak the stuff in...otherwise all you're doing is adding another layer, not bonding the layers. the reason that the fabric falls is that the bonded layers spread apart...

this is my experience and my technique...

I read your build, and I think I'll do just the bottom side too. I did spread the resin first (well when I started on the one corner) then laid the glass on top of the fresh applied resin,, the glass is matted not weave and the resin soaked into the liner as I was laying the glass in. Had to slop it real heavy to get the glass to stick.. then just spread resin all over, on the top side of the liner(facing roof). It pretty much sucked it up. A friend told me to use a little thinner to the resin when I mixed so it would thin it out to spread easier. Worked pretty good. It should be good tomorrow, after the thinner evaps. Did you sand yours down before you put the foam backed fabric on?