Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I picked up this 1990 Comanche Pioneer a few weeks ago. it's a 4x4, 4.0, 5 speed manual shortbed model that's apparently been sitting for 20 years. The guy I bought it off replaced the whole fuel system from tank to injectors, replaced the clutch and got it running before giving up, so now it's my problem. I didn't need a third project car, but here we go.  

 

IMG_3594.JPEG.6d5bb0a7f5360c339c8e7786ef63477e.JPEG

IMG_3617(1).JPEG.f74c3de0e54d57913026a297bb81fa66.JPEG

IMG_3619(1).JPEG.95cc345e4c005ff8569790af6ad62597.JPEG

IMG_3624.JPEG.dff1b5931c4f85780d592f96b8e708ca.JPEG

 

It's pretty clean for a 36 year old car, very straight and minimal rust. It has one small hole in the floor and a couple of pinholes in the roof, but those can be fixed pretty easily, then the whole thing is rust-free. I plan to paint or undercoat it before too long to protect it, but for now I'm just focusing on getting it back on the road and able to pass inspection.

 

The biggest issue is the transmission needs replacing, and the clutch needs bleeding properly. 1st gear is essentially unusable, and it grinds going into the others. Rebuilding it would be nice, but even if I do it myself it'd be very expensive. I have a line on a replacement, but I’m just waiting to hear back about it. 

 

Besides that, the only other problems are mostly just age related. The engine obviously needs servicing and going through to make sure it's running right, but it does run, so it's a pretty low priority at the moment. It needs every suspension bushing replacing, new shocks, new U-joints, new oil in the diffs and transfer case etc. I plan to maybe rebuild the axles at some point down the line.

 

Eventually, the goal is to clean it up a bit and make this thing a daily driver. I'm not going for a full restoration or upgrade, just trying to bring it back from the dead. 

 

Here it is stinking up the driveway with my current daily/1st project car, my '90 S10 Blazer.

IMG_3731.JPEG.3f3bb8ce1603669deba7b966eabae281.JPEG

 

Posted

Some updates, I bought a used transmission and I’m just waiting for it to turn up. I think I might have ordered the wrong pilot bearing though, or the wrong clutch alignment tool, the fit between the tool and bearing is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I ordered them based on part numbers I was given and I now have some doubts, so i just need to wait for the transmission to turn up so I can actually measure things. 

 

The renix engine monitor I ordered also turned up, I plugged it in and confirmed that the reason it smells like it's running rich is because it is. Not exactly sure why yet, I fixed a vacuum leak too this morning but I didn't run it for long enough to be able to tell if it's actually helped. I haven't really looked too much at the other readings yet but I'm really impressed with all the information it can give you, I was kind of against buying it at first as i wasn't sure how much I’d need it, but so far it seems like a good buy. 

 

Last week I poked all the wiring and discovered that my oil pressure sending unit was bad, I replaced that this morning and now I can actually see my oil pressure, just over 40psi at idle. I looked it up, and apparently that's fairly healthy and normal, but I wonder how much that'll change with some fresh oil. It's encouraging, anyway. 

 

image.png.3bfc52b2e17e44efcbbee0a18413967f.png

 

I think I now have a full set of working gauges. I'm not 100% sure the fuel gauge is working properly... but the sending unit seems to share a ground with the fuel pump, and that seems to be working fine, so it may just actually be empty. 

 

I also figured out why my horn doesn't work. The relay wasn't clicking, so I replaced that. Still wasn't clicking, so i popped the horn button apart and cleaned that. The relay clicks most of the time now, but the slip ring is apparently dirty too as it's a bit unreliable. I have a steering wheel puller somewhere, so I'll  probably pull it and clean it fully at some point. The main issue is that the horns are completely junk. I pulled one off and hooked it directly to the battery and it doesn't make a sound. Not really a huge problem at this point but it's nice to know what the issue actually is.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...