Can someone explain how this parking brake hooks up?

My trucks PO removed the parking brake rear lines and didn't replace them for whatever reason. So I am putting them back on and doing the rear brakes while I am at it. I have one side off and the other side is still assembled but the drum is off. I have the new cables but can't figure out for the life of me how they hook into the drums. I have a manual and have been reading it and looking at these brakes for over an hour and have no clue how the parking brake works. Does anyone have a good explanation or picture of how the parking brake hooks up?

I am pretty sure the PO removed a lot more than just the cable. I don't appear to have a parking brake link, link spring or lever. Does anyone know where I can get these on a sunday? Napa and autozone don't seem to have them listed in their parts.

I don't think it will be a thing you can get til monday. might have to get it from dealer or from car-parts.com or the like. The link hooks to the back of the shoe and has a pivot arm. the cable itself goes through a hole in the backing plate with the spring clip on the end of the sheath. the sheath bolts to the body before it goes to the central cable. The brake lever and spring do go on behind the shoes.

Yea, but you beat me to the reply by 2 minutes.......I type s l o w.

I agree, if the parking brake lever is missing, that's a dealer item or JY. Unless you know some one whom has a couple of D35's laying around :roll:

Which I just happen to have laying around :brows:

Thanks guys, those are very helpful. The parts that are missing are 3,4, and 27 on that diagram. I already put everything back together since I figure I am going to have to hit up the dealership for those. I think I am going to do the wheel cylinder anyway since they don't seem to be working very well. Another day, at least now I know what I need.

Alright, I am going to check with them and get them new if they aren't too much money. Simply because I would like to get this done sooner than later. But I appreciate it, how much would you want for those three parts for both sides shipped to 46845? I know sometimes dealerships will try to bend you over on the prices of parts you can only get from them. So I will definitely keep it in mind.

damn....I JUST did the rear brakes on my cherokee this morning. I'd have taken pictures...I installed "new" ebrake cables too, and while the e-brake cables are not identical to the MJ, they're close enough.

I gotta re-adjust them in the AM so I'll nab a couple pics then.

-Pat

Alright, I am going to check with them and get them new if they aren't too much money. Simply because I would like to get this done sooner than later. But I appreciate it, how much would you want for those three parts for both sides shipped to 46845? I know sometimes dealerships will try to bend you over on the prices of parts you can only get from them. So I will definitely keep it in mind.

As always, make me an offer, I'm cheep :brows:

And ask around here, you'll find that out.

Yea, check out he dealer, and after you recover from the shock, drop me a line and I'll hook you up. But some times the dealer are not that bad.

I have a few days in the shop his week, so I can dig them up and ship it out.

If your doing beakes, you should ALWAYS get new spring kits. the springs in the drums are subject to extreams in temp and that kills a spring!! Besides the are CHEAP!!

I am also mentioning thgis because there are a couple clips thatyou will need that are in the kits. Spec a clip to hold #4 to the shoe. #3 is a spring and should be replaced with the rest.

As I read this my first thought was you where also missing #4. It can be a bugger to get the cable off/on it sometimes.

Good luck,

CW

I already have whole new hardware kit. But now that I am replacing EVERYTHING inside I am wondering if it would just be the same or cheaper to go with a disc brake conversion. Does anyone know what vehicles used rear discs on a Dana35 and how much they go for? I don't mind putting some extra work into it, but would I need a different parking brake cable and brake lines or what?

ZJ's had disc's on the rear. You can find them in the yard sometimes. It is not alot of work if you are doing an entire rehab of the rear system. If you are replaccing everything except the backing plate anyway it would be worth looking at.