92 Fault Code #36 What is it?

To start off this is pertaining to my Eagle that has a 92 H.O. fuel injected 4.0 in it.

I finally got a check engine light wired in and read the codes as described here.

My codes are 12 36 33 41 55.

12 battery has been disconnected

36 air switch solenoid

33 A/C circuit

41 Alternator circuit

55 end of codes

I disconnected the battery yesterday(12). I don't have A/C(33). My Alternator is not hooked up to the computer(41).

The one I don't understand is the 36 air switch solenoid. What is that?

Did you remember to plug in your waste gate solenoid? :laugh2:
That’s an odd one for sure, I don’t think there’s too many early 90’s Chrysler gas engines with turbochargers on them.

Browsing through some service manuals I see air switch solenoids referenced in smog pump setups, secondary air injection or whatever you want to call it, that would pump fresh air into the exhaust for emissions purposes. But I don’t think a ‘92 YJ would have that, unless it’s a California thing…

Honestly my first inclination would be to double check you’re definitely getting the correct codes. 35 is a fan control relay/circuit concern, you don’t have anything unplugged beyond the alternator?

Weird. That definitely looks like a 36 to me. Does the CEL stay on with the key running? Or I guess it would anyhow with the 41 active, so maybe don’t worry too much until that’s dealt with.   
Have you tried clearing codes to see if it goes away?

What’s the source of the ECU you used, and is there a way you could put it back in a functional vehicle its “supposed” to be in to see what happens? I’m mostly wondering about some faulty aftermarket programming on a reman unit and it looking for something that doesn’t exist or blinking an incorrect code. 

On other Chrysler engines 36 would be a problem with the smog pump/A.I.R. system, but I don’t see any reference to the AMC/Jeep engines having smog pumps, even with Cali emissions equipment. I don’t know what euro emissions equipment might be either but I think that’s also barking up the wrong tree. 

Google found me a couple instances of XJs and YJs supposedly showing a code 36, but in most of them the OP realized they were reading the codes incorrectly, a few references to clearing the codes and it not coming back, but also lots of orphan threads with no resolution. 

Just checked my codes again and I got different results. 12 35 73 35 41 55

I don't see 73 as a code option.

Yes the C.E.L. is on while driving.

Also here is a pic of the barcode on my computer 1536665798_IMG_20240406_1751302132.jpg.8bfc1a9cbb9476a80ab6cf211e219cae.jpg

I am fairly certain it is out a wrecked Wrangler. All the mounting tabs for the computer are broken off. Also the intake manifold had a power steering delete pulley on it and that was only an option on the Wranglers. 

Part number brings it up as being for an XJ/MJ, doesn’t seem like anything special going on anywhere I look online says with auto trans and federal emissions although the parts manual notes Leaded Fuel which I think is odd. Don’t know that it means anything, don’t know that it doesn’t mean anything. There’s a ton of different parts numbers and lots of them say Leaded Fuel. 
IMG_6966.png.f5f273e1d01e6f9f31600883d26a38bf.png

If your alternator isn’t hooked up, what’s the state of charge? Could a low voltage or eddy currents from a charger be making the ECU wig out?

But if the thing still starts and runs, I might try correcting the known issues and go from there. Then once you know your setup is running as best as you can get it and there’s still odd behaviours, then maybe try a different computer, or try this one in a different vehicle. 
From memory I want to say the ‘91 and ‘92 computers are interchangeable but the ‘93 onward had a different pinout.

IMG_6966.png

25 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

From memory I want to say the ‘91 and ‘92 computers are interchangeable but the ‘93 onward had a different pinout.

This might be my issue if I remember correctly the harness I have is out of a 93 or 94 Cherokee. I will look into it some more.

17 hours ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

This might be my issue if I remember correctly the harness I have is out of a 93 or 94 Cherokee. I will look into it some more.

I don’t know this for a fact though. It was suggested during a diagnostics discussion on here a long while ago when I put a ‘93 XJ computer in my ‘91 MJ when I was facing a crank-no-start but I never really confirmed it, just that the later PCM didn’t fix anything for me. The problem I was dealing with at the time turned out to be that my fuel pump wasn’t pulling gas off the bottom of the tank anymore, so unrelated to the PCM. 

50 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I don’t know this for a fact though. It was suggested during a diagnostics discussion on here a long while ago when I put a ‘93 XJ computer in my ‘91 MJ when I was facing a crank-no-start but I never really confirmed it, just that the later PCM didn’t fix anything for me. The problem I was dealing with at the time turned out to be that my fuel pump wasn’t pulling gas off the bottom of the tank anymore, so unrelated to the PCM. 

Okay