Where to put this wire...

I know, I know, its not MJ but I like asking you guys for opinions and answers on the XJ as well.

Ok, I have everything buttoned up except for some wires. One of which is the system sentry engine off input wire. Wire was orignally spliced into the choke heater relay(I4) or directly wired to the choke heater relay(V6). Now that its going to TBI, that stuff is gone. Where should I run this wire? My understanding of this wire is it acts like a on off switch for the sentry so its not constantly on and draining the battery. From the diagram it gets power when the choke heater relay is powered along with the other things that are spliced into it. So when its off, as is everything else. Where on the 2.5L TBI circuit can I do this? I have a couple ideas but would rather get maybe some more than I know.

I was thinking tie it to say the O2 heater relay or fuel pump relay. Welcome to any other ideas.

First, if I'm understanding this at all.

Just how were the choke heater relays controlled (I1_I3_A)? Meaning when did that wire go HOT? Ignition SW has different contacts for different KEY positions (ACC_OFF_RUN_START).

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I was thinking tie it to say the O2 heater relay or fuel pump relay.

This would be considered an IGN SW I1 Feed (RUN_START(HOT)).

Ok so the heater relay is as follows

power from the alt field goes to No 4 on the relay and is spliced to go to the cluster

run power goes to multiple things and one is to no 1 on the relay which is the switched part of the relay

2 on the relay goes to the wire we are talking about

3 is ground. 

Using the 85 manual here

IMG_2341.jpg

System Sentry (SS) only comes ON with ENGINE RUNNING. So, you don't have ENGINE RUNNING only position on your IGN SW. I guess it's a great circuit for ENGINE HEATER Relays. Question becomes when do you want the SS ON or OFF in this case? IGN SW set to RUN will be HOT with ENGINE RUNNING or ENGINE NOT RUNNING. SS will be on with both of these conditions. Okay. So don't leave your KEY ON without the ENGINE RUNNING, could drain your battery. :laugh:

Tap YELLOW wire off the IGN SW (C267_I1).

1033438114_C267_C268IgnitionSwitch.jpg.f1feda37cf6771ffdaf85057505f9f8f.jpg

More options.

The closest thing we have to an ENGINE RUNNING circuit is the Fuel Pump Motor circuit. Circuit is HOT with KEY ON in RUN position but will time out if ECU see NO CRANK or NO ENGINE RUNNING. Orange wire down by the driver's side kick panel.

This is a wire thats on the engine bay side. I feel like I would be fine without it, but I also dont want it to be one of those things where it will constantly be on and that wire is technically an on off switch. I guess I could figure it out once I finally put power back to the XJ.

10 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

This is a wire thats on the engine bay side.

I took it as wire was under the dash. Both YELLOW or ORANGE wire can be tap at the Fuel Pump Relay, if needed.