CAD permanent lock trouble

Hello All.  I have a 1989 Comamche andI was getting ready to do the permanent CAD elimination - simple kit purchased.  I took the CAD cover off and slid the locking collar over towards the diff to lock the two shafts.  Apparently I slid the collar too far over now it's not engaging the wheel side axel.  Now I can't slide the collar onto the wheel shaft.  I'm afraid to force it over...Any suggestions?

What kit did you purchase? Shouldn’t need any new parts to lock it in, but some legit lockout parts might be nice.

You may need to rotate the axle shafts to get the splines to line back up. With the transfer case in 2wd you should be able to just rotate the front driveshaft while putting a little pressure on the collar to nudge it back over. If you’ve got the wheel off the ground you can also rotate that end of things if it’s easier than turning the driveshaft.

Thanks.  I started with rotating the passenger wheel and applied pressure to the collar.  Engages the wheel spline just slightly...when I take the pressure off the collar, and rotate the wheel forward then backwards, it slips off the wheel axle.

Oh, I bought the Alloy USA Dana 30 Front Axle Differential Permanent Lock Kit from Extrem Terrain.  It had everything needed.  I also ordered a new shift fork because the little rubber tabs were worn...just thought it was a good idea since I had it out.

22 hours ago, Old2tracker said:

Thanks.  I started with rotating the passenger wheel and applied pressure to the collar.  Engages the wheel spline just slightly...when I take the pressure off the collar, and rotate the wheel forward then backwards, it slips off the wheel axle.

I would leave both front wheels on the ground in 2wd and wiggle the driveshaft. Or put it in 4x4 and leave all the wheels on the ground except the passenger front. You want to spin one side and not the other. Rotate the thing back and forth while you’re sliding the collar.

Its also possible if you’re only pushing on one side of the collar you might be getting it out of parallel with the splines and binding it up.

If the splines are dry it might also help to shoot some penetrating oil in there to lube them. 

You are spot on around the pressure not equal sliding the collar over.  I put the shifting fork on the collar, slowly spun the passenger wheel, and bam!!!  It slid over into the right position!  

I went with the kit from Extreme Terrain because my original CAD cover was cracked, so I took the easy way out.  

Thanks again for the suggestions and support!