Most clearance tube winch bumper

KIMG0086.JPG.b64552f43fc22f7230df1567d5ad1a70.JPG

KIMG0091.JPG.54767802fc294fa75a1ec0ecfa43a7c3.JPG

I can add more to this if it shows interest, LMK.

Black and Blue Garage here (Thomas Yingling) first post on CC or any old style forum. 

1988 MJ, bronco axles - moved around, LS swap etc. I've got the tires and outer/inner fenders sorted out so I could start on my bumper.

1 3/4 8th wall seam tube around 12 feet in length and one harbor freight winch plate. Total cost: around $90 in materials. 

Started with cutting out my bent up front bumper and "frame" tie in/radiator support. Then notched the ends of the frame and got to work on the winch plate. *It is important to know at this point that I am putting the radiator in the bed of the truck, If it were in the front, I would need to mount the winch plate lower, and find a winch that has a clickable free spool lever. The winch plate was cut out for the frame and pitman shaft and then welded straight to the frame. Used angle iron to support the sides to the frame stiffeners 

KIMG0086.JPG.b64552f43fc22f7230df1567d5ad1a70.JPGThere are 3 bends in the upper tube, around 3-2°, to follow the curve of the header panel. Then bent the lower tube 30° on the ends, notched. Cut an opening and plated for the winch fairlead opening. Lower tube welded to the frame, winch plate along the bottom and to the upper tube.

Please forgive my welding.

The ends of the upper tube were beveled after testing flexed out tire clearance and later stuffed with 1.5" quarter wall DOM and then plated on the ends to seal them up. 

---------------------

KIMG0089.JPG.a4d3cf991a6d0aa48d6eea718622a520.JPG

Notched and beveled support tubes in hope to prevent bending in the ends of the bumper, be it that it is just 1/8 wall tube. I made sure the steering gear box bolts are still able to be removed. 

Because the winch plate was cut for the steering, it was braced to the bumper and welded all around to stiffen it back up. 

--------------------------------T

KIMG0088.JPG.c9120fff194ba4b3e7355c58ae82fea5.JPG

to finish it off I painted it with my favorite brand of black paint.

I made two videos of this whole process and they can be found on Black and Blue Garage. 

19 hours ago, TheYingling said:

Not sure why two of those photos uploaded upside down lol

has to do with the way various phones and cameras save the photo's orientation.  apparently not all devices save it the same way.   :(  very weird.  but I fixed it for ya. :L:  I find I can rotate the image, then rotate it back and my laptop will re-save the orientation.  

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

has to do with the way various phones and cameras save the photo's orientation.  apparently not all devices save it the same way.   :(  very weird.  but I fixed it for ya. :L:  I find I can rotate the image, then rotate it back and my laptop will re-save the orientation.  

Awesome! Thank you. I'll use my laptop from now I'm sure, I just had some down time at work.