Ksutt159's Comanche Build

Well I am not new to Jeeps but this is my first Comanche build. This is now the 5th Jeep I have owned. Previously I owned two XJs ('98, and '00), a YJ ('95) and most recently a TJ ('04). Sold the TJ a few months back to get a 2015 Nissan Frontier since I do a lot of long distance driving and needed something more comfortable, reliable, and spacious. I wasn't really looking for another Jeep project. However my buddy had other ideas. We ended up picking up a beater XJ to potentially fix up or just use for parts for his own Comanche (he's got a '92 Pioneer long bed). We ended up immediately flipping it to a a friend of my buddy's for cash and a few parts needed when this friend mentioned that we now had an empty trailer and he knew someone who had a Comanche for sale that would fit perfectly on our trailer.  Well the deal seemed pretty good and my buddy convinced me that it would be pretty cool to both be working on Comanche builds so here I am. I always thought Comanche's were cool but never really thought I would own one due to their rarity.

The Jeep: It is a 1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer long bed. It has the Renix 4.0 with an AW4 auto trans and is 2wd. Looks like it is a faded Baltic Blue paint with a navy blue interior. Previous owner replaced the front clip and fenders with a '97+ XJ. It had rust on the newer front fenders and on the rear wheel wells but the majority of the body and unibody frame rails were rust free. The floor pans had recently been replaced, but the passenger side pan was not a Comanche specific floor pan and is sitting an inch higher than the  unibody rail there and would have to be re-done to sure up the unibody rail. The engine seemingly started and ran fine. The brakes were noticeably not working properly. Brake pedal had no pressure and would go right to the floor, but no brake line leaks were visible.

The initial plan: My initial plan is to make it into a moderate off-roader and use it for a variety of camping trips and road trips. I plan on converting it to 4x4. While doing the 4x4 conversion, since I will already be replacing the transmission, I plan on also converting it to a manual with an AX-15 trans. I love driving manuals and in the long run would always prefer a manual to automatic. I also plan on changing the front end back to the original style front end. I don't totally hate the newer XJ front end clip, but I definitely prefer the older style front end for a Comanche. First thing first though is to get it road worthy. Getting the brake issues figured out, redoing the passenger floor pan, and figuring out the other reliability issues will be first on the docket. Ideally the MJ is roadworthy within the next few months, and I'd love to have the 4x4 and manual swap completed by Summer 2024. I am storing the Jeep at my parents in PA while I live in VA so work opportunities may be limited until its roadworthy enough to bring down to VA to keep with me permanently.

IMG_20230909_191027_566.jpg

20230904_171515.jpg

Looks like it will be a great project!  I completely agree with you on the pre 97 front end, they are just sharper and fit the Cherokee/Comanche design better.  That is unless it is painted in a gloss coat of battleship grey...

Get it road worthy and start having fun!  Comanches are hard to come by but worth the wait!