D-30 problems.

What problems are D-30's noted for????

We took the MJ for the first test drive yesterday and had problems :cry: Went for a 5 mile drive first then a 10 mile drive to the in-laws for x-mass. Had some strange vibs when it would go into OD or you let up on the gas :roll: but everything else was fine 8)

Made a stop at the father-in-law's house to pick up somethings to take to sister-in-laws, it set for about 40min., went out and it would not move. Acted like a brake had hung up :roll: poped it into 4 low to see if I could free it up and the t-case went pow :mad: think the vibes may have been the chain floping in the t-case :roll:

Well we went to eat and came back to see what was wrong. Jacked up each wheel and each tire turned free. Took off both front and rear DS so we could move the MJ so father-in-law could get his car out and it would not move :nuts: we then found the front pinion seized :roll:

The fluid level is up to the fill hole, so it did not leak out :nuts: going to get it towed home today so we can pull the cover off, but was just wondering if this is a common problem.

Any body know the specs to replace the pinion and diff bearings :roll:

That is not a do-it-yourself type job. You really need to have someone with the right tools and knowledge for a job like that or you will be doing it all over again in a short time.

8) Yea...a bearing kit (install kit) typically runs in the $100 - $130 area.

It has been a while so do not trust this, but it seems that the desired back-lash was around .005 - .008 when we did mine a few years ago in our YJ.

When I got the DS at the local JY, they had it for $30 and it was missing the front cover and right side shaft. It had no fluid in it and a little surface rust on the gears but looked OK. Something must have been up with the bearings that I could not see :oops: