2000 XJ still in use by Caltrans

Htchevyii

Somehow this 2000 XJ is still in use as a CA state vehicle. 2WD, 4.0 with 197,000 miles. It looks like we started with 12 and there are 6 remaining in use at this time. There is no planned retirement date for this one at this time, but it will probably be replaced with some sort of plastic EV at some point. Oh and the operator loves it!

xjct.jpg

2 hours ago, Htchevyii said:

Somehow this 2000 XJ is still in use as a CA state vehicle. 2WD, 4.0 with 197,000 miles. It looks like we started with 12 and there are 6 remaining in use at this time. There is no planned retirement date for this one at this time, but it will probably be replaced with some sort of plastic EV at some point. Oh and the operator loves it!

xjct.jpg

Of course he does, he’ll probably buy it when he retires.

13 hours ago, Htchevyii said:

It will go to auction. I'm keeping an eye on it. 

You can get amazing deals on those government surplus auctions. We recently auctioned off a old lathe that had a 8-ft bed and a 2-foot work radius, and the guy ended up getting it for $1,800.

And I had a kid working for me last semester that ended up buying a single wheel 250 super duty from his dad's forest service unit for $3,000 I think. Granted it was the Triton not the powerstroke, but still. 

9 hours ago, coheed said:

You can get amazing deals on those government surplus auctions. We recently auctioned off a old lathe that had a 8-ft bed and a 2-foot work radius, and the guy ended up getting it for $1,800.

And I had a kid working for me last semester that ended up buying a single wheel 250 super duty from his dad's forest service unit for $3,000 I think. Granted it was the Triton not the powerstroke, but still. 

We sold a giant lathe and press brake for practically nothing, but they were both huge and too heavy for our fork lift, so the buyers had to rent huge ones to load. I think that smaller stuff would have had a better market, you would need a huge space and they were set up for 3 phrase power.