1988 BA 10-5 Transmission help

Ok so we all make stupid decisions that we live to regret... Me and my handling of my jeeps are no exception.

So here's the deal, long story short, I was being an idiot and tried to launch my jeep on pavement in 4WD because I didn't put two and two together and realize that high RPMs mixed with Sticky tires on a sticky surface impacting a weak transmission in a truck built for cruising around at 55 MPH down the highway wouldn't end well.

Well idiot me dropped the clutch anyways and immediately heard a loud POP/BANG. After that, Id engage the tranny and while Id hear the gears engage and move, the vehicle did not.. However, going through all the gears I was able to get 5th gear to grab and limped the poor MJ home (didnt know I could climb hills in 5th gear at 15 MPH at 500 RPM...)

Anyways, haven't tried reverse yet, and probably will here soon. Talking with people made it sound like I sheared a shaft and that's why only 5 gear grabs... If the tranny is toast I've wanted to AX15 swap it anyways just because it's a good transmission that'll go into a really nice, un-restored truck with tons of life left in it (after you go through the rats nest of vacuum lines and wiring in the engine of course lol)

Any thoughts? is the tranny smoked? anything to check? any good tips on swapping that won't leave me more broke than I already am (College student)

Thanks all, appreciate your input.

Cheers

You did well and broke it good it sounds like.  As a broke college student, the cheapest fastest fix would be to find another BA10/5.  They are cheap because no one wants them but it would be a direct bolt in without having to source or fabricate all of the AX15 specific parts.  

For cruising I actually liked the smoothness of shifting the BA10/5 in my previous Comanche over the AX15 in my current one.  However I'm glad I have the beefier transmission.

I know this didn't directly answer your question but I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha, I've had my MJ since I was about 20... A looong time!  I banged 2nd hard and sheared all of the teeth off of second gear and the main shaft 25+ years ago on the  BA10/5! I swapped in a used AX15 and it has been flawless ever since. I did finally replace it with a brand new one from Advance Adapters within the last year just because I  already had it out and it had a ton of miles on it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, Htchevyii said:

Ha ha, I've had my MJ since I was about 20... A looong time!  I banged 2nd hard and sheared all of the teeth off of second gear and the main shaft 25+ years ago on the  BA10/5! I swapped in a used AX15 and it has been flawless ever since. I did finally replace it with a brand new one from Advance Adapters within the last year just because I  already had it out and it had a ton of miles on it.

That's currently the route I've gone right now. Got an internal slave AX15 for a decent price and am now trying to figure out what I need to swap it in... all the lines were cut off of it lol

On 4/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, TurboedMJ said:

I've got a spare ax15 trans if you are in western Washington... Not sure about condition, just that it has about 140k miles on it I believe 

Internal or external slave AX15? I’d be interested if your trying to get rid of it. 

1 hour ago, Manche Man said:

I'm in the Kalispell, Montana region. Oof, forgot to follow this topic and life got busy

Man, your lucky. I’ve wanted to move to Kalispell for years now. Wish you were closer. Have a Peugeot you could just have. Would even help you put her in! 

On 6/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, WranglerMangler said:

Man, your lucky. I’ve wanted to move to Kalispell for years now. Wish you were closer. Have a Peugeot you could just have. Would even help you put her in! 

Ahhh that would have made things nice and sweet! But oh well, guess I needed the ax15 regardless. Got the correct output spline for the Tcase now so all I am waiting on that I know I need is the Trans bracket. Other than whole new lines, clutch, and slave cylinder, you guys know of anything else I need?

• 9 months later...

Alright, I know it's been quite a while, but I figured I'd wrap this post up. 

Me and the backyard duo swapped I the AX15 a be get everything hooked up and working. Swapped input gears in the np231 and now the jeep lives again! Clutch engages way too quick for my liking and it seems to grind when you put it in reverse unless you ensure the tranny is no longer spinning at all. Other than that though it's time to put the interior together and find where my vacuum leaks are coming from. 

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm bound to be back here for more later. Feel free to ask questions, but I will warn you, me and the guys used a lot of YouTube and simple "let's try it" to get this thing where it is. Learned a ton but definantly messed up some things I'll have to pay for down the road. 

Cheers!

Congratulations on the successful swap!

The full stop to get into reverse is normal for the AX-15, it appears to be a sliding straight cut gear engagement instead of synchro and dog engagement.  That's a pretty typical setup, my 09 Honda and 62 Austin Healey are also setup that way.  My 99 BMW has a synchronized reverse. 

I honestly don't remember what it was like to put the BA10/5 into reverse, someone else will have to chime in 

13 hours ago, TurboedMJ said:

All you have to do to stop reverse grinding is disengage the clutch, put it in first, and then right into reverse. 

Exactly what I found out! Personally I just use 4th gear as it's closer to Reverse.

But thats a slight relief that it's just the nature of the AX15.

(The BA/10 Didn't grind when putting it in reverse so long as the vehicle was fully halted.)

Anyways, take care and I'll see you guys on the vacuum line threads lol