Can anybody tell me what this thing is?

I was changing the tires and wheels off my truck the other day, and while I was doing it, I was checking the brake lines, and for bad rust (small island, water, EVERYWHERE). I noticed a small dangling thing that looked like is connected to one of the brake lines. I poked it and it spun freely. I have attached a picture of it below. I was wondering if it necessary to stop it from spinning and maybe connect it to the axle seeing as the two have similar attachment points close together?

Thanks for the help guys :cheers:

That is your factory level sensing, brake biasing valve.

Comanches do not have a "regular" braking system. they do not have a proportioning valve to bias the brakes front to rear. This valve adjusts by the weight that's in your bed, more weight, more braking to rear axle.

It also dosen't look to be attached correctly. The flat bar should be horizontal. IIRC.

CW

That is your factory level sensing, brake biasing valve.

Comanches do not have a "regular" braking system. they do not have a proportioning valve to bias the brakes front to rear. This valve adjusts by the weight that's in your bed, more weight, more braking to rear axle.

It also dosen't look to be attached correctly. The flat bar should be horizontal. IIRC.

CW

It's not attached to the diff cover. You need to p/u of fab a rod from the operating lever to the diff. Either that or bypass it. This is what it's supposed to look like:

Image Not Found

It's not attached to the diff cover.

It sure is on the axle side. There is a Lil bracket, that goes under the diff cover bolts. You can see it in both the pics.

You need to p/u of fab a rod from the operating lever to the diff.

I agree, It looks like its missing in your photo. Running like that, you are doing all your braking with the front brakes only. NO TO SAFE!!!

To better describe whats happening when that "proportioning" valve in the back is working correctly. With nothing in the bed, the flat "bar" should be level. If its above level, this will allow MORE braking to the rear. IE if the bed was loaded down and the extra weight would require more brake power.

CW

I did this quite a ways back. Lots of us have. EAGLE did lots of research and has a good write up with pics.

AT first I just eliminated it. My rear lines where rusted and leaking so I did everything at once, all new lines from the front to back. It worked fine, a bit touchy with full brakes to the rear axle, BUT PERFECTLY SAFE. Then, I swapped in a XJ Proportioning valve form one of the chops I have done.

CW

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!! I noticed that it felt like there wasn't much rear breaking power....... I'll try to fab something up so it starts working again! Thanks again guys for the replys and the great help!!! hopefully i can scrounge someting up and make it work better.

:cheers:

Chris