Brakes

Now that I have some money rolling in I'm gonna start working on the mechanical aspects of my truck. The first thing I wanna tackle is swapping the 8.25 out of my 91 XJ into my 88, as the 35 in the MJ is completely shot. The problem is, the 8.25 is shot too, but only in terms of seals. It needs all new brakes and seals, as the drums are horrendously worn, the brakes don't even work, and the wheel cylinders and axle seals dump out fluid. I am gonna be ordering new floor pans and starting with chopping up the parts Jeep to get some donor bits of frame rails and the trans tunnel, and I am also gonna be grabbing some other stuff.
Where is a good place to get brakes and seals, and what all goes into an axle swap between an XJ and MJ other than the spring perches? I am seeing a distinct lack of specification about which axle a lot of the parts go to, generally just saying they go to Jeeps...

30 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Not sure what gear ratio you’re running but you may be money ahead getting a junkyard KJ 8.25 which will have larger 29 spline axle shafts and disk brakes in most years. Just a thought since an axle swap from an XJ isn’t bolt in anyways. 

Don't have a junkyard around here, and the one junkyard we did have didn't have any KJs... I know the XJ axle isn't bolt in, I know I have to modify the spring perches, but I'd rather modify an axle I already have than spend $800 on a rusty junkyard axle from craigslist or marketplace.
The ratio in the truck currently should be 4.10, and if my calculations were right the XJ has 3.73 gears. I don't need a crawler axle, I just need something to daily the truck, as the current axle is very... grindy. It's near death, that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

Don't have a junkyard around here, and the one junkyard we did have didn't have any KJs... I know the XJ axle isn't bolt in, I know I have to modify the spring perches, but I'd rather modify an axle I already have than spend $800 on a rusty junkyard axle from craigslist or marketplace.
The ratio in the truck currently should be 4.10, and if my calculations were right the XJ has 3.73 gears. I don't need a crawler axle, I just need something to daily the truck, as the current axle is very... grindy. It's near death, that's for sure.

Are you going to regear the front to 3.73 or the rear to 4.10? 

7 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Are you going to regear the front to 3.73 or the rear to 4.10? 

Gonna swap just the rear in for now and leave the 2WD front under the MJ until I can get the front Dana 30 rebuilt from the XJ, and run 3.73 front and rear.