Running rich.

I got my 1990 4.0 with a no start condition. Well sort of . It would start then die immediately . I went to replace the 02 sensor broke it off . So once i fixed all that up pulling the intake and header . It runs . But it runs extremely rich . Backfires and smells of gas . The previous owner bypassed the EGR system . If someone could point me in the right direction I’d be much appreciative. It’s been one thing after another with this one . :doh:

I could be wrong but usually a consistent start followed by a stop is caused by a bad fuel pump ballast resistor.

There's a part in this video where he starts the engine prior to fixing the problem to show you the symptoms. Watch and see if yours is behaving the same way.

Edit: Sorry I missed the part where you said it's running after the O2 sensor was fixed. Still probably worth it to confirm that resistor is good but maybe it isn't your problem.

Cruiser . I would say you’re spot on to something . Went out played with the map connector it killed the truck . Then went right back to the original no start issue i was having . The previous owner was a bit of a get er done mechanic from what i can see .