Drag link inter-changability ?

I have used them with out any problems...

BUT they ARE DIFFERENT and carry different part numbers. This happened with the hi perf 4.0 came out. Its got a little different bend.

But like I said, I personally have run them and both worked just fine.

CW

Would a drag link advertised to fit "'91-'01 2&4WD Comanches" work on a '87 4WD MJ?

It turns out NO; not without buying some more parts. The ad should read '91 - 01 Cherokees. (And probably '91 and '92 Comanches)The threads are 22mm on the new part as opposed to 20mm on the OEM piece. So, I bought a newer model adjusting sleeve and left-hand thread TRE and we're in business with a little upgrade. I still can't believe how bad that thing bent from hitting a mud hole.

I have used them with out any problems...

BUT they ARE DIFFERENT and carry different part numbers. This happened with the hi perf 4.0 came out. Its got a little different bend.

But like I said, I personally have run them and both worked just fine.

CW

I (like others) assumed you where buying a COMPLETE UNIT. They must have increased the diameter as well when the HIPERF 4.0 came out.

like I said above, they are different, but if you had bought/used the ENTIRE unit it would have worked for you.

Sorry for the assumption.

CW

Thanks guys. The part is new on ebay for about $40. The JY wants the same so I'll eat the shipping and not get dirty.

Just pulled the tie rod and drag link from a V8 ZJ for $26, but yea I got dirty. Well worth it to have a that bigger solid tie rod. :brows:

A little extra work is no big deal. That's what I get for being so cheap and not replacing the whole thing in the first place. The new set-up is much beefier. Even the adjustment sleeve and clamps are like mongo-thick compared to the stock piece. We're glad we did it.

I have to say thanks :cheers: to those who posted the DIY wheel alignment procedures in past threads. I've done it twice now; once out in the desert to be able to drive home and once after the repair last night in the driveway. It works.

Thanks guys. The part is new on ebay for about $40. The JY wants the same so I'll eat the shipping and not get dirty.

Just pulled the tie rod and drag link from a V8 ZJ for $26, but yea I got dirty. Well worth it to have a that bigger solid tie rod. :brows:

I'm running the ZJ tie rod on the MJ as well. When I pulled it I was gonna take the drag link too, but it looked the same diameter as the stock MJ one. Is it thicker?

I'm running the ZJ tie rod on the MJ as well. When I pulled it I was gonna take the drag link too, but it looked the same diameter as the stock MJ one. Is it thicker?

It's the same diameter but the connecting rod end at the pitman arm looks to be bigger. I looked up the part numbers and they're different between the 4.0 and V8's, but that don't mean much. Also where the steering stabilizer connects, it's shaped different, its not flat but at an angle. Not sure if that will make a difference. I've seen on other sites that some say that they are the exact same and others don't and some say they are an inch longer. :dunno: Just from looking at them they have differences. I plan on using it unless something tells me otherwise.