removing the ring and pinion on a d30 axle

Hello, I have a 1985 front axle with axle disconnect. It started leaking so I took out the axles and found it was worn and been fixed with some shim like thing. I'm tired of this axle having problems so I'm getting a different one from a friend. The new one has 3.07 gears and the messed up one has 3.73. I'd like to use the 3.73's which look good, but can't get them out. Any trick I'm missing or just use more force? I think everything is disconnected. Thanks.

Agreed...gear swapping is best left to a professional or at least someone that has plenty of experience and all the right tools to do it. Removing them is the easy part so if you are having trouble with that...you will never get them back together properly ;) .

If you are dead-set on swapping the R&P, & have everything loose(which should only mean sliding the shafts out & removing the bearing caps) you may need a case spreader to get the carrier out. For some reason it seems front axles tend to be shimmed tighter than rears. You may be able to carefully(forcefully) pry the carrier out but then you have to get it back in...somehow.

One other thing. If you have already removed the bearing caps I hope you marked them first. They are line-bored & must be put back on in the same position they were removed.