Floor Repair

I am going to be repairing the floor pan on the driver side of my MJ over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been searching and have read a couple posts about this repair and I was wondering if there were any tricks or tips. I have a good size hole and will be welding a panel to patch it (I even bought new wire and tips for the MIG :brows: ). I can't remember who, but they used a license plate. Great idea, too bad my hole is larger than that.

Also, is the carpet glued to the floor?

Thanks,

Joe

I am going to be repairing the floor pan on the driver side of my MJ over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been searching and have read a couple posts about this repair and I was wondering if there were any tricks or tips. I have a good size hole and will be welding a panel to patch it (I even bought new wire and tips for the MIG :brows: ). I can't remember who, but they used a license plate. Great idea, too bad my hole is larger than that.

Also, is the carpet glued to the floor?

Thanks,

Joe

Just got doe fixing my kids floor. No the carpet is not glued, just remove the seats, center console, and all the plastic trim panels by the doors. I used panel adhesive, sheetmetal screws and then tack welded the perimeter. Herculiner over all that and on the bottom of the repair to keep the water out.

Check here for some pics:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... 8998#68998

I have always just used Por-15 and fiberglass sheets to fix the rust and holes... was going to rhino line till I heard horror stories. You rhino line it then it starts to rust from the underside and your floor is gone yet again before you even know it. Just a sort of heads up warning.

Alex

... then it starts to rust from the underside and your floor is gone yet again before you even know it.

Alex

I hear you, loud and clear. ;)

I pulled more of the carpet backing off the floor. The rust and holes are worse than I originally thought. No surprise there. I was hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I won't know what I am up against until I take the rest of the mat out of the truck.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

... then it starts to rust from the underside and your

floor is gone yet again before you even know it.

Alex

That's why you coat the underside of the truck with herculiner too.

That can still cause issues since you can't get it fully covered, like where the frame is up against the body. If you want to rhino line the inside, leave the bottom uncoated so you can keep an eye on it, or take it to get undercoated every few years by ziebart or whatever its called.

Alex