Dana 44 Drum Brakes

Looking for some information on Comanche dana 44 drum brakes. My son and I are gathering parts for a dana 44 axel upgrade. We wanted to keep the truck fairly original and planned on using drum brakes. Are the drum brakes Comanche specific or were they used on other models/years? Are there parts available?

Maybe someone out there has drum brakes that were removed for disc brake conversion laying around.

2 hours ago, ozz4wd said:

Looking for some information on Comanche dana 44 drum brakes. My son and I are gathering parts for a dana 44 axel upgrade. We wanted to keep the truck fairly original and planned on using drum brakes. Are the drum brakes Comanche specific or were they used on other models/years? Are there parts available?

Maybe someone out there has drum brakes that were removed for disc brake conversion laying around.

Same brake specs as the XJ amd TJ rear D44. I used the Crown base kit because it was the most complete I could find,  then picked up a set of brake cylinders separately.

D44 Drum Brake Kit: 52001915K

Brake Cylinders (L/R): 52000848 and 52000849

13 hours ago, ozz4wd said:

DesertRat1991, thanks for the information, are the backing plates the same as well? I have found a dana 44 with badly rusted backing plates and need to replace them.

XJ/MJ use the same backing plate.

I know the TJ D44 bearing retainer has a different hole pattern than the XJ/MJ so I assume the backing plates must be different as well. Don't have a TJ manual handy to cross check the p/n though.

Stick with XJ/MJ D44 parts and you should be fine.

Just rebuilt my drums and holy cow does it make a difference. I had a wheel cylinder that was completely frozen up and shoes were shot on the other side. I even think my proportional valve still works as it should.