rear driveshaft question

ok, this is probably a silly question, ut i have to be sure. i pulled off my rear drive shaft while troubleshooting some DW and i notice that when i stood it on end, i heard something slide inside of the driveshaft, then when i flipped it onto the other end i heard it again. i asked everyone i know(none of whom are jeepers) and they all said they never heard of such a thing so i figured with this many comanche masters in one place that someone could help me out.

maybe it had an internal weight?(not likely), or someohow got mud inside it that's hard now, or it's a rubber-center shaft and a chunk of rubber came lose (that's more likely)

Yes, it's most likely a chunk of rotted decomposed rubber from the sheath rattling around. Since you have an 86, I'd bet on it, since I had a similar problem with my 91.

since were on the subject whats with the 2 piece rear drive shaft ( the ruber isolater in between) I'm sure it was just for ibsorbing shockload and what not but damn it sure is heavy . and secondly do u think a d-shaft of half the weight would speed things up a bit , i doubt it but hey i got a 2.8 so anything helps :brows:

since were on the subject whats with the 2 piece rear drive shaft ( the ruber isolater in between) I'm sure it was just for ibsorbing shockload and what not but damn it sure is heavy . and secondly do u think a d-shaft of half the weight would speed things up a bit , i doubt it but hey i got a 2.8 so anything helps :brows:

I guess that's what the rubber was for. I had driveline vibes and one of the things I did was to bring my OE driveshaft for balancing. According to my local shop, the internal rubber crap was so badly decomposed he could not balance it and guarantee it would stay right. So I had a new one made up from stout 3-1/2" tubing (Tom Woods) and it helped somewhat w. the vibes, and it was like 1/2 the weight. As far as speed things up a bit, I really don't know..........

I guess that's what the rubber was for. I had driveline vibes and one of the things I did was to bring my OE driveshaft for balancing. According to my local shop, the internal rubber crap was so badly decomposed he could not balance it and guarantee it would stay right. So I had a new one made up from stout 3-1/2" tubing (Tom Woods) and it helped somewhat w. the vibes, and it was like 1/2 the weight. As far as speed things up a bit, I really don't know..........

so what did ur new shaft run ya outa curosity?

No it was not. I was pleasantly surprised. If you decide to inquire, talk to Tom himself, especially when giving your dimensions. I spoke to one of his assistants first, who was knowledgable, but his $$ guesstimate was higher.

will do

thanx