Factory jack handle clip alternative

As most here may know, the factory jack handle is retained by the hold down bracket and thumbscrew on the driver side floor, and by a clip in the middle of the back wall of the cab.  The factory jack instructions show the clip, which is part number 34202362.  Also included is a close up of the clip.  These clips are hard to find.

MJ jack instructions.png

IMG_9274.JPG

Since the proper clip is hard to find, my idea is to use a different clip that is much easier to find.  I'm not sure exactly what year it started, perhaps as early as 1994, but late model XJs (and some TJs) use a metal clip to hold the hood prop rod in place.  The clip replaces the plastic one found on our 86-92 MJs.  It is part number 55075480.

XJ hood prop clip.png

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

The neat thing about this clip is it mounts in an approximately 1/4" diameter hole.  Here is a pic of where it mounts in a 1993 XJ.  And a pic of it mounted. To get it off, slip a thin flat blade screwdriver under it from the bottom (closed end), and then push it down.  It will pop off. 

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

The next step would be to drill a 1/4" hole in the mounting tab located on the back cab of the firewall.  Then put the clip in place by inserting the larger tab in the hole first, pointing up, and then holding it flat against the surface, push up until it clicks into place.  

The clip is designed for the hood prop rod, which isn't quite as large in diameter as the jack handle.  So it may be a tight fit.  I tested the fit on the jack handle and it was tight but workable.

I haven't gone the final step and done this mod, because I have the factory clip.  But I would be interested to hear from anyone who tries it, to see how it worked out.

A final thought, this isn't a permanent mod.  If you find the factory clip, you could remove this one, and use it.  It would cover the hole and no one would know it's there.

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

17 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

0B231D6B-3B80-4836-A424-0B40A7E4C0FE.png

That looks like a suitable replacement, as long as it clamps to the mount tab good.  That space on the mounting side looks suspect to me.  Notice the factory one has no gap on the mounting side to provide a tight fit.

1 hour ago, schardein said:

That looks like a suitable replacement, as long as it clamps to the mount tab good.  That space on the mounting side looks suspect to me.  Notice the factory one has no gap on the mounting side to provide a tight fit.

You just pinch that tighter so it would grabYou just pinch that tighter so it would grab

11 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

You just pinch that tighter so it would grabYou just pinch that tighter so it would grab

Maybe.  I don't know exactly what those clips are made of, or if they are heat treated or whatever, but they don't bend much before they snap.  Speaking of the factory clips.