1JTHW6614HT071862

dood

Picked up a long bed 1987 Jeep Comanche 2.5L with 2wd and an AX5 transmission from a guy in Georgia off of Marketplace a few weeks ago. It had 81000 original miles when I bought it. The truck is in decent shape, all things considered. It has a little rust on it and a few small dents here and there, but nothing too bad. It seems to run fine, but it does need new battery cables, a new valve cover gasket, CCV grommets, and an oil pan gasket. The turn signals also don't work. I'm not too worried about the battery cables and all the rubber stuff; those seem easy enough to fix. I just hope the turn signals don't turn out to be a nightmare!

comanche1.jpg.d368cbb3db6c7cd345e0af17ed2494a7.jpg

comanche3.jpg.df1722f7226ce7b3b15e3f2bc5f07ec0.jpg

comanche4.jpg.31586ea0db0e239d540ac6f39197fe86.jpg

The interior needs a bunch of odds and ends. The biggest issue is the seat belts. They don't lock and the buckles actually broke, so they're gonna need to be replaced. It also needs new courtesy lights and the carpeted panel that's supposed to be in the back of the cab.

comanche2.jpg.86f5aaaaea1f0b0d7f3385c2b084603d.jpg

It now resides at my home in East Central Florida. At the time of this post, I've swapped out the exterior lights with LEDs and I applied Fluid Film to the underbody. I'm planning on polishing the rims to a mirror finish and swapping out the grille and headlight trim for chrome pieces. I'm going to replace the weatherstripping on the doors and windows and add vent windows within a month or two. I'm also going to get the bench seat repaired when I get the chance. Eventually, I'm going to get the body all fixed up and repainted in the same factory color, but for now, that's a (very) long-term goal!

*X1  
-YY  
3LQ  
APA MONOTONE PAINT PACKAGE
CBA BENCH SEAT - STRAIGHT BK
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
CKA CARPETS - CLASS I SHORT PILE 8 - 12 OZ
DDJ 5SPD MANUAL TRANS
EPD ENGINE - 2.5L I4 TBI GAS
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW
GPB DUAL - O/S MIRR PKG - LOW MOUNT - CHROME
HAA AIR CONDITIONING - FRONT
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
LAP FUEL ECONOMY SHIFT INDICATOR LIGHT
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MBJ Bumper - Front, Black
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NMB ENGINE COOLING - STANDARD DUTY
PYM  
QYM  
SBA POWER STEERING
TBG SPARE TIRE - COMPACT
WMC BASE WHEEL DRESS - UP (INCLS TRIM RING)

Build date 12/7/86

Body code TL62

Sold By SOUTHERN CHRYSLER JEEP AT CHESAPEAKE, CHESAPEAKE VA

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE! First of all, thanks @eaglescout526 for that information! Never knew you could pull up factory options like that. Cool stuff.

Spoiler

Fun fact: It still has the original dealer decal on it.

IMG_4247.jpg.cf4f27a4b709dfefe5d554b0cf97704d.jpg

I think I have a better idea of how I want to go ahead with her. I'm going to try and keep her as original as possible while also tastefully adding some modern tech to the mix. Here she is so far:

comanchev2.jpeg.d42a6dd63c45ec9f09d35e856e5d2a3d.jpeg

Things I've done so far:

1. Fixed the turn signals (Thanks everyone who helped!)
  2. Replaced the stock grille and headlight trim with ones in chrome.
  3. Fitted new u-nuts and stainless steel bolts for the tail lights.
  4. Replaced the turn signal stalk with a new one. The chrome paint on the old one was all chipped and peeling.
  5. The shifter was missing the boot for the shifter bezel; added one.
  6. Refreshed the fuel pump ground; added new connectors.
  7. Began to install new front speakers; the original ones were blown out and rattling at speed...
  8. Replaced the valve cover. I was just gonna replace the gasket, but I found cracks in the plastic. Gotta love extra surprises...
  9. Replaced the leaky oil filler cap and did cruiser54's tip #26; it fits nice and tight now.
  10. Replaced the crank case ventilation hose and valve cover grommet.
  11. Refreshed the connections at C100 and C101.
  12. Replaced the rear view mirror.
  13. Changed the oil and filter, for what THAT's worth. Still have to replace the oil pan gasket!
  14. Added a latch for the sliding rear window.
  15. Replaced all of the exterior lights with LEDs.
  16. Replaced and rewired all of the courtesy lights.
  17. Aligned the steering wheel.
  18. Replaced the brake pads. I tried to replace the rotors, but little did I know my truck had rotors with built in wheel bearings. Lesson learned...

Current issues:

1. Bucks and jumps in 2nd and 3rd gear. Trying to figure that one out right now.
  2. I hear lifter tick near cylinder 4. I'm thinking it's probably from the current oil situation.
  3. Every now and then, I hear a single loud "tick" when accelerating; when it happens, the accelerator pedal gives for a brief moment.
  4. AC doesn't blow cold
  5. Still needs a new oil pan gasket.
  6. The engine air filter is too small. :doh:
  7. The driver's side doorjamb switch is corroded.
  8. The plastic nuts for the headlight adjustment screws are cracked; can't use them.
  9. Door buzzer doesn't work.

To do:

1. Replace the oil pan gasket and refill engine, maybe add some additives to the oil.
  2. Get an air filter that's actually made for the truck...
  3. Clean throttle body.
  4. Test TPS and adjust if if needed.
  5. Flush diff fluid, brake fluid, gear oil, and coolant.
  6. Replace battery cables.
  7. Inspect floor pan for rust, clean and seal it.
  8. Replace headlight adjustment screws + nuts.
  9. Replace the driver doorjamb switch.
  10. Replace seat belts.
  11. Replace all 4 tires + add full size spare
  12. Fix door buzzer.
  13. Replace side view mirror glass.
  14. Finish installing new speakers
  15. Chrome plate the stock wheels and rechrome the rear bumper.
  16. Repaint the front bumper.
  17. Get body panels repaired and painted. (Not gonna happen anytime soon!)
  18. Fabricate a custom DIN mounting bracket and replace the stereo unit with an amateur radio (specifically, a Yaesu FTM-350AR. You can actually use it as an AM/FM stereo as well. Pretty cool stuff) and replace the stock radio antenna with an amateur radio antenna. I fabricated an NMO mount that actually works perfectly with the stock trim piece. It almost looks like it came straight from the factory! Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to install all of that stuff.