stupid axle question

Okay, this will sound stupid to you guys who've been building a while, but.... I'm looking at upgrade axles. (Dana 44's) When they're talking about the "Bolt Pattern", it's the bolts or lugs the wheels bolt onto right? Or is it something else? How exactly does that effect the brakes? For example, If I'm buying a 44 diff and tubes(no shafts or gears, just an empty housing) and my wheel lug pattern is 5 on 4.5, does it really matter what the bolt pattern is, or vehicle the axle came off of since I'll be putting in new shafts & gears? So long as the axle width is corect anyway. Like I said, this may be a stupid question, but I've never done anything with axles before. Well, except brake them :D

Bolt pattern is the lug/stud pattern for the wheels.

A D44 front won't reasonably work as a 5x4.5 pattern. 5x5.5 and 6x5.5 and 8x5.5 can be had easily wirth sock parts, and I think with a bit of machine work a guy can make 5x5 work on a D44. A unitized hub D44 can be made to work as 5x4.5, and in fact there's a factory one that is thaty way - but they aren't srong.

I agree.. :agree: And I will add. be sure of the D44 your buying. There is a metric version, (Isuzu) as well as a D44A (V8 ZJ/WJ).

Both/Either would work for you if you have all the parts, but many on the parts ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE with a std D44.

CW

It's a rear axle on my ZJ (sorry, still looking for an MJ :D ) It's a D44A, which is why I'm trying to upgrade to a cast iron unit. If I changed my bolt pattern to, say a 5x5.5 (in the new axle) I'd have to get a new brake set-up wouldn't I? The current brake won't transfer over will they? I'm starting to notice in my research that there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for the stock 5x4.5. Is the 5x5.5 more common & easier to get parts for?

Wait, a rear D44, sorry, I was thinkin front. The 5x4.5 pattern will work easily with that.

If you change the bolt pattern, the brake parts won't work. Sometimes it can be worked around (different rotors), but not always.

However, an XJ/MJ rear D44 will have 5x4.5 bolt pattern and AFAIK the ZJ brakes can go on it.

Bolt pattern is the lug/stud pattern for the wheels.

A D44 front won't reasonably work as a 5x4.5 pattern. 5x5.5 and 6x5.5 and 8x5.5 can be had easily wirth sock parts, and I think with a bit of machine work a guy can make 5x5 work on a D44. A unitized hub D44 can be made to work as 5x4.5, and in fact there's a factory one that is thaty way - but they aren't srong.

There was a couple years of Dodge 5 on 4.5" D44 but they are unit bearing so no locking hubs are possible