Jump to content

transmission question


Recommended Posts

I've been gathering parts for a AX15 manual swap, and have been researching and looking into everything that goes into that.  I was able to get out to the shed today and grab the serial # off the trans.

20210516_172242.jpg.5b48bf168bb3cae2db34b4ba53471060.jpg

 

I found an old thread that said #52108048AB should be a 94-96 model, but then when I search for that specific number, I come up with links to a 97 cherokee tranny so I'm not sure what's going on.  It's an internal slave model so that's another confusing point, as I've read that they should have all been external slave by then.  I need to see if there's some way to bench test and make sure it's shifting nice before I swap it, or just open it up and see what the inside looks like.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The transmission was probably replaced, but they kept the existing bellhousing/slave cylinder setup

TAG NUMBER YEAR
52107811 1997
52107812 1997
52108010 1993
52108036 1994-96
52108047 1994-96
52108048 1994-96
52108050 1994-96
52108465 1996
52108532 1997
52109035 1994-96
53005360 1989-91
53005385 1989-91
53005386 1989-91
53007862 1992
53007863 1992-93
53007864 1992-93
53009526 1992-96
53009528 1992-93
53009529 1992-93
53009530 1992-93

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, scaleless said:

The transmission was probably replaced, but they kept the existing bellhousing/slave cylinder setup

TAG NUMBER YEAR
52107811 1997
52107812 1997
52108010 1993
52108036 1994-96
52108047 1994-96
52108048 1994-96
52108050 1994-96
52108465 1996
52108532 1997
52109035 1994-96
53005360 1989-91
53005385 1989-91
53005386 1989-91
53007862 1992
53007863 1992-93
53007864 1992-93
53009526 1992-96
53009528 1992-93
53009529 1992-93
53009530 1992-93


I suppose that's possible, I think this is the larger (cherokee?) input shaft diameter isn't it?  
20210516_194000.jpg.ba269134391b8f5a03d9493f521c0571.jpg

One more thing I notice is the shaft seems to have some play in it vertically, but spins freely with no shifter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, scaleless said:

89 - 91 shaft is 19/32", 92- is 3/4". The shaft should be able to wobble sideways and up/down slightly, but should not have any in-and-out play.

I realize now that the picture is terribly small when uploaded, but I'm pretty sure it's right at 3/4".  I didn't think to check for in/out play at all but good to hear that the up/down and side to side play isn't anything to be worried about.  Being that my truck is a 91, I'm probably going to need to swap for the later pilot bushing if I'm understanding the years correctly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so then I would need part # PB-7501357 if I'm reading correctly?
Correct. If you can, measure your crank just in case. If your engine ever got swapped, you could have a different crank.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

@CaptainPatchy  split off and moved over to Tech for ya. :L: 

Thanks Pete, I meant to put this in my build thread initially, not my VIN thread :doh:

 

25 minutes ago, scaleless said:
30 minutes ago, CaptainPatchy said:
Okay, so then I would need part # PB-7501357 if I'm reading correctly?

Correct. If you can, measure your crank just in case. If your engine ever got swapped, you could have a different crank.

I think that's another reason to not rush this swap and maybe do it over the winter.  There's NO telling what this truck has seen in its life! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CaptainPatchy said:

Thanks Pete, I meant to put this in my build thread initially, not my VIN thread :doh:

 

tech questions should probably go in the Tech forum.  more eyeballs will see it (unfortunately not everyone reads the builds on a regular basis), and then it'll be searchable for future owners. :L: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Pete M said:

 

tech questions should probably go in the Tech forum.  more eyeballs will see it (unfortunately not everyone reads the builds on a regular basis), and then it'll be searchable for future owners. :L: 

Makes sense, thank you!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...