AX-15 questions

I just picked up an AX-15 to swap into my comanche and get rid of that BA-10, its a transmission and the bellhousing, it has the clutch fork/bearing but it doesn't have a slave cylinder. 

Would I just need this kit from advanced adapters? or am I missing some things.

image1 (4).jpeg

image0.png

I don't think you need that kit, just a 1994+ slave cylinder and some extra hydraulic line.  Should come out to much less than $170!  I and others I know here used Centric 13667512 pre-bled master and slave cylinder set when we swapped from automatics, but I think this requires a larger firewall hole than stock 1986 - 1993 comes with so you may need to enlarge it.  It is cheaper and nets you a new Master, too, though.  You'll also need a new crossmember and I'm fairly certain the AX15 needs a different mounting plate, as well.  

If you don't have a matching transfer case, you'll need one of those as well - AX15 and BA10 have different input shaft lengths and, in most cases, different spline counts.  You can read more at Novak:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

You can find a matching transfer case or do what I did since I was rebuilding mine anyways and buy a new input shaft gear from Novak to swap in.

You mean this adapter plate?

https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/716007--nv3550--ax15-crossmember-mount-kit-for-jeep-yj-wranglers/

I wasn't able to find any other.

That only fits YJs - they use the same crossmember but a different mount for the BA10 and the AX15.  Comanches use a different crossmember AND a different mounting plate.  I'm not sure if the bolt holes line up, but the BA10 crossmember is an inch or so higher than the AX15 one and will screw with your driveline angles a bit, especially badly if you have a lift.

Another thing regarding the transmission is if it came from a Wrangler, the transfer case mounting holes are clocked ~15° differently than a Comanche for floor clearance and you'll need to redrill the holes or bang out your floor (not recommended lol)

In that guide you can see he used shims to drop the crossmember down to match the drop of the AX15 crossmember, which does get your driveline angles back to factory at the cost of an inch or so of ground clearance.

For the transmission clocking, here's a write-up of someone swapping:

https://www.stu-offroad.com//engine/aw-4b/aw-4b-4.htm

Take a look at the holes and see if it matches yours.  That's an AW4, but the idea is the same - there's an obvious area for the holes, and if they're aligned CCW then it's a XJ/MJ trans and if they're CW it's a Wrangler.  I think some people have fit the transmission in without clocking it like Pete, so it might fit but it'll be tight.

I recently swapped in an ax15

I bought a slave with master cylinder attached. Also had to find a ax15 cross member and mount plate. I can send photos of anything your curious about. I tried to document in my thread but its lacking