Hvac radio swap

I'm looking into swapping the hvac controls and the radio around for a further down the line radio replacement. I just took both of them out today and it seems thay something might need to be trimmed in the dash to do this. Anyone done this? If so some help would would appreciated 

I swapped the location of both and installed a double din CarPlay unit. I think my write up is in the diy section
Saw your thing but it seems you didn't show how much you need to cut

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Muncher said:

Saw your thing but it seems you didn't show how much you need to cut

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

That depends a lot on the headunit you get. A lot of double din head units these days actually only use a single slot. Either way, there is plenty of cutting. The lower air duct has to be reshaped. I used a hot knife and just kept trimming until everything fit nicely. Then i sealed the duct back up. Many who do this swap delete the center vent but it is typically the best ac vent in the truck since it’s the first one after the evaporator

You could also work with one of the floating display head units. I was going to go that route but decided it was just a bit too modern of a look for my old truck.
The one I was going to use is single din and just flips up. That's why I wanted to swap them around