Bodywork-The Right Way

Last week we discussed how to completely and correctly remove rust. This week we will continue the trend and discuss bodywork.

You will want to use a hammer and a dolly to straighten it if you can get that on it.

If you cannot get that on it, look into a Unispotter. This will weld little studs on that you will then hook onto with a slide hammer to pull them out. You will need to use lots of studs, and word a little bit at a time. You need to make sure that you grind all paint/primer off before using the Unispotter.

If this doesn't work, use a shrinking tip on the Unispotter to get the dent warm (start with the highest point), then tap it down around the hot spot, use a blow gun to cool it when you are done. This will shrink the metal. 

Once you get your dents close to straight, sand your whole panel and prime it. I would recommend using a DA Sander if you have one with some 80 grit sand paper. Use scotch brite to get the tighter spots. Depending on how nice you are trying to build your truck, you can either just sand it until the panel is bare metal (typically done on show cars), or just sand it until the primer will bite good (take away the shine). Of course, if you can sandblast it or get it sandblasted without warping it, that is the best way to do it.

Now depending on where you are going with your build is going to dictate where you go from here.

***READ THIS PART IF YOU DID NOT SAND TO BARE METAL***

1. Apply filler where needed, then sand it with 80 grit. Repeat as needed.

2. Sand whole panel with 180 to get rid of sand scratches.

3. Prime panel again

4. Block whole panel with 180.

5. Seal the panel.

6. Paint the panel.

***READ THIS PART IF YOU DID SAND TO BARE METAL***

1. Prime your panel, make sure it is an epoxy primer.

2. Block the panel out with 80 grit. Use the longest sanding block you can to get your truck laser straight.

3. Apply filler where needed, then sand it with 80 grit. Repeat as needed.

4. Sand whole panel with 180 to get rid of sand scratches.

5. Prime panel again

6. Block whole panel with 180.

7. Block whole panel with 320 to make sure there are absolutely 0 sanding scratches.

8. Seal the panel.

9. Paint the panel.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Good tips. I’ve always use a bit finer grit before primer. 320 before primer and 400 before base coat. Comes out great that way and has plenty of bite. I use 120 pre bedliner though

Yeah, the grit for sandpaper is a bit of a personal preference thing, I like to go a little more agreessive to make sure my next coat of primer will stick. On my truck, I went with 180 pre bedliner, but I wouldn’t recommend going any less.