RANT

soooo here goes. I have learned quite a bit about trying to swap pieces of axles instead of whole assemblies this week. What a PITA.

what i have is a 2wd 86 manche 4 cyl. Had a blown engine and needed a front bearing.

Got the bearing prices, they want 300 bucks because it is a whole assembly not just pack of bearings due to the unusual design of hub part of the axle. I said no thanks as I can get a whole axle for under 50 and just toss it in, since this truck is 2wd it would be non functional anyway.

So i manage to be given an 89 D30 for the price of on the house that I was going to swap in instead of the 2wd axle. My buddy was going to give me a hand (or vise versa) but he was in exams and I need to get the truck out of the garage withing the next two weeks. So we thought hmmm...maybe we can take off the inner axle shafts and just use the spindle part? Well after pulling everythign apart and hammering out the u joints turns out the 4wd hun and spindle is different, but I am get to find out why from quick inspection.

So I said okay, no problem. I can swap over most brake components an it will be problem free right? well I took some measurements of the parts that the brake pads sit on. Under first measurements I find out that it should work. So i pull everything apart, get it swapped over to the dummy D30 and find out again the brakes won't work, but they just barely don't fit.

SO in the end I have learned not to try and swip swap parts between axles. It is a big waste of time (about 5 hours so far).

In the end, the original solution will be the correct one. and I now have to replace some u joints :cry:

That was my biggest problem, with my current health issues swapping over parts was my only option to getting it back on all 4's

if I was healthier and able to move the heavy axle I would have not even bothered messing with it lol

If my buddy wasn't in exams he would have one it for me, but I didn't want to burden him with that while he is studying (even though it is technically his comanche as he paid for it)

oh well. I learned some interesting things about how stupid the 2wd front axle is anyway lol