5 speed shifter removal

OK...this might sound stupid, but how on earth do you take apart the (seems like) 2 piece shifter found on the AX5 tranny? Looks like top lenght of the shifter comes off and leaves a stubby part still attached to the tranny. Is this pressed on really tight or what? (BTW I need to remove the shifter in order to pull tranny...1988 / 4.0 / AX5 )

don't worry about taking the shifter apart..

take the console out and you'll notice underneath there are some boots remove those, then you will be able to see the top of the tranny, the shifter should bolt on with 4 bolts... and the whole thing will come out.

in order to remove the console you'll need to pop the 4x4 selector plastic thing out to get to one bolt, don't remember the others, mine were broken, and remove the shifter head by unscrewing it.

I've pulled like 4 shifters off the stubs in the last 2 weeks.

What looks like it should just pull off, doesn't.

Each time I had to put it in a vice and whack it with a hammer.

How'd I get it in the vice? I removed the 4-bolts and pulled the tower off, just like Oizarod115 said.

And, I'm so-cal so there should be no rust holding those things together, but there is some on each of the 4 I've pulled apart... not sure if that's why they were so hard, but its my suspicion.

I've pulled like 4 shifters off the stubs in the last 2 weeks.

What looks like it should just pull off, doesn't.

Each time I had to put it in a vice and whack it with a hammer.

How'd I get it in the vice? I removed the 4-bolts and pulled the tower off, just like Oizarod115 said.

And, I'm so-cal so there should be no rust holding those things together, but there is some on each of the 4 I've pulled apart... not sure if that's why they were so hard, but its my suspicion.

why on EARTH have you been separating that many shifters?

I wondered because a (Chrysler) service manual says do not remove the shifter from tranny...leave the stub in the tranny. I also noticed a magazine article, build up...in the pictures you could see the short stub still in the tranny...looked like it had a couple of grooves where the top presses on...as if a couple snap rings or something is inside??

So I assume seperating the shifter would be good..."if" it would come apart? Old age has probably changed easiest procedure?

Since you said 4.0L, you're talking about either an AX15 or the BA 10/5....

The AX15 (and AX5) shifter is held in the shifter tower housing with a spring-loaded cup. Remove the rubber boot that's bolted to the tranny hump floorboard and press straight down on either side of the shifter where it enters the housing. While holding the cup down, rotate it CCW 90 degrees and it'll pop up...then pull the shifter out. Alternately, you can pull the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the tranny and pull it all out as mentioned above.

Unfortunately, since yours is an 88, you probably have the Peugot, and it's different. You have to locate and remove the three bolts that hold the shifter housing to the tranny and remove it all as an assembly.

Jeff

Since you said 4.0L, you're talking about either an AX15 or the BA 10/5....

The AX15 (and AX5) shifter is held in the shifter tower housing with a spring-loaded cup. Remove the rubber boot that's bolted to the tranny hump floorboard and press straight down on either side of the shifter where it enters the housing. While holding the cup down, rotate it CCW 90 degrees and it'll pop up...then pull the shifter out. Alternately, you can pull the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the tranny and pull it all out as mentioned above.

Unfortunately, since yours is an 88, you probably have the Peugot, and it's different. You have to locate and remove the three bolts that hold the shifter housing to the tranny and remove it all as an assembly.

Jeff

I'm not 100% sure....

I saw the "cup" area like that...but it seems stuck....

This is an '88 4.0L 2wd eleminator. It has the 5 speed that is one solid

piece tranny / bellhousing....making it an Aisin AX5??? Or am I wrong?

It's also Vin Code "M" (seems to mean something to the parts store)

I'm gonna see if I can remove the assembly when I get back over to the truck...but I don't recall how those bolts were.

you really have to press down hard on that cup.....there's a spring underneath it. Plus it's likely to be slippery from gear oil, and it's a tight space to work in. But it'll depress, eventually...

Jeff

why on EARTH have you been separating that many shifters?

Well, the AX-15 that's in my 89... I needed the shifer to put on the BA10/5 out of the 88 I swapped in.

Then, I decided I could use a shaft, since the 6speed I have doesn't have a shaft, just the stub, and I wanted an XJ/MJ shifter shaft... off to the junkyard and I snagged one... by removing the 4-bolts.

Then, I needed a floor pan seal, the one from the above shifter was thrashed, so back to the junkyard, again couldn't get it out, so I had to buy the whole dang thing again.

Then again, I was in the boneyard monkeying around, and decided I should grab a better seal for the top of the transmission... round 4 of shifter seperation.

you really have to press down hard on that cup.....there's a spring underneath it. Plus it's likely to be slippery from gear oil, and it's a tight space to work in. But it'll depress, eventually...

Jeff

:dunno: i've never seen one like THAT before... all the AX15s ive seen had 4 bolts just like the pukegoat (cept it only has 3)