Fuel gauge issues, 88 2.5L 2wd short bed

Ok so my fuel gauge is acting funny. My truck is a 88 comanche short bed, 2wd w/ 2.5L motor. When i'm accelerating the gauge goes up, as soon as I reach whatever speed i'm going for the gauge goes down at least a quater of what it was reading when accelerating. Example; reads full but when speed is reached goes down to quater tank sometimes in between half and quater tank. Is this a sign that something is about to die?? Now mind you I think I also have a fuel pressure problem since the thing sucks gas like its a v-8 so its either running really rich or I have a leaky line some place. Anyone have a crazy gauge like this before?

I'd worry about getting the pressure problem fixed first. Doesn't make sense, but if you get that cleared up, your gage may start working properly. You could pull the pump/gage sensor and see if its working properly. (have the key on, and move the sensor yourself, to see if it puts the gage in the right place)

As for a leaky line, just idle the truck, and look underneath for puddles.

well I dunno if its the exhaust or not but when I shut the truck off and sometimes when its running you can get that gas smell. I kinda don't think its a leaky line since still have yet to see any puddles when idling for like 15 mins or more. I do need to get that pressure problem fixed either this week or next since its starting to spudder now if you kinda floor it from a dead stop.

Fuel pressure regulators are rarely the problem. If you're burning too much fuel, it could be a host of other items, like a bad o2 sensor, a leaky fuel injector, bad map sensor, etc. I'm not saying it couldn't still be the regulator, I'm just saying that usually it's one of the other things.

no thats fine, thats why I decided to convey what exactly the problem was I was having. Just means that slowly i'll have to replace things seeing as in how it is an old truck and i'm pretty sure i'm the first owner to actually take care of the stupid thing.