Some odd MJ projects.

Figured I'd post a few of the 'odd' pics from my MJ project. Nothings really done yet but progress is on-going.

First, the custom door test assembling.

2007_1004Image0004.JPG

2007_1004Image0007-2.JPG

It's the MJ's original door, the missing piece I used as a bed panel patch. No, that's not the original window, mirror, or handle. :brows:

Next... Cab de-ventilating. :D

2007_1019Image0014.JPG

Doesn't look the best yet but it checks even against the untouched parts of the panel.

it was interesting, and still not complete. I've had spacers machined to get the tracks and regulator assembly at the correct depth. You also need to remove the one clip and the support beneath the vent window. You need to cut out and unbolt the front track from a new door, and it will require more work to get it to fit correctly. The old 'short' front track interferes with the new one, part of the reason the trim doesn't line up correctly. Lots of parts are slightly different. For example the cushion for the rear track is one piece from bottom to vent window on the old ones, while for the new style it's a seperate piece inside the door, and then from the sill all the way around to the front and down. Right now I need to get the rear track cushion figured out, grind the front track to fit better, deal with possible interference from the regulator spacer, determine what interior trim has to be used, and figure out how it will need to be wired. And por15, prime, and paint somewhere in there too.

I never thought about lower cab vents... Not sure how'd you get access to the back anyways unless it's a pretty small vent. This keeps reminding me of older trucks with the same large space on the back corner of the cab.

Looks like its coming along well. Those silver doors look nice :D Curious why you didnt go with just a newer set of doors, the latch is an easy swap to the cab? I considered this with my MJ, but got a set of loaded doors from a 96 to use.

just noticed you're using newspaper to cover windows... make sure you layer the crap out of it cuz newspaper bleeds paint through really bad, I don't know if you're painting or priming but yeah think layers

just my .02

Woot!! i wanted to do that but i wanted to put 4 louvers in the bottom part to keep the vent working but i don't have a machine shop nearby that can press louvers.

I've been tossing this same idea around in my head for a long time.

Anyways, back on topic again, I like what you've done so far, looks good. What are those mirrors off of? They seem to fit quite nicely in the stock location.

RobS, it's not quite as simple as that. I did test mount one new door before tearing them apart. One bodyline didn't quite line up, and the latch thing isn't quite as simple as it seems. They're offset by about an inch, so the rods would have to be changed. I wasn't interested in fixing those problems. I'll probably only use the passenger 'silver' door, the driver side's retaining latch was busted out.

beaterjeep, the mirrors are from a new style set of doors. They fit correctly, the bolt pattern is exactly the same. There's a difference on the side facing the window though, the trim pieces overlap if you try to mix the different generations.

Tank4L, yeah, they're layered. I'll probably recover them once I'm done priming.

RobS, it's not quite as simple as that. I did test mount one new door before tearing them apart. One bodyline didn't quite line up, and the latch thing isn't quite as simple as it seems. They're offset by about an inch, so the rods would have to be changed. I wasn't interested in fixing those problems. I'll probably only use the passenger 'silver' door, the driver side's retaining latch was busted out.

Can you give more details on swapping the guts of the newer style XJ windows? I've seen people hang the later doors on without much dificulty it seems like swapping the guts is a lot more work. On the other hand you get to keep the door with your paint on it...

Couldn't you just bolt the newer style window into your older regulator and swap the forward track?