My 91 Comanche

Just purchased! 1991 Jeep Comanche 4.0l 4x4 5 speed 209k. New to the forum! I’ve been looking all over for a Comanche for a reasonable price that was not too rotted out. I ended up getting one in North Carolina and hauled it to upstate ny. I have collision work experience and can paint the truck / fix the rust but I need to know what xj parts fit this thing. I need a hood(hood pins on this one and shimmed with a ton of washers). Anyhow any help would be appreciated as far as advice as to where to get rust free pars. I’m also missing grill parts and a rear bumper. 

36B4A4F1-464F-4D7B-92B7-5E1913226AAF.jpeg

Welcome! 

As far as sourcing XJ parts as direct fits, the hood, fenders, doors, header panel and front bumper will transfer between models. The roofline and rocker panels are where things change, everything from here back is MJ specific. 

Please feel free to reach out for help, we’ve been there and can help things go quicker for you by taking a lot of guess work away, that’s what we are all here for. Good luck and have fun! 

Thanks I’ll post pictures as the project goes on. It seems to run great I’ll be setting the box back this week and hoping to get the thing body wise ready for paint in the next few weeks. I’ve heard people say the hood and header panel are not the same on the xjs is this true? Also my tail lights are not in the best of shape is there an aftermarket option or is it just the luck of the draw finding nice used ones 

Comanche and XJ body parts that are interchangeable are XJs up until '96. '97 to '01 XJs were redesigned inside and out. You will see some MJ owners on here and in person that have done a '97 interior and front end swap. If you are looking for bolt on parts stay with the years '84 to '96 from the XJ. As for the tail lights that is one of the holy grails of the Comanche. The mj tail lights were only made for the mj, don't let anyone tell you different, nothing else fits and they are not reproduced. If you find a set, snatch them up and put them in a safe! You can find them but they are sometimes at a premium price so be prepared. There are some writeups on this forum on how to restore the tail lights, some have turned out immaculate so that is the best way until you find a better set. 

Welcome to the madness and feel free to ask questions, this is such a great site with many helpful people, I have learned so much and learn stuff just about every time I log on!

Buck. 

Thanks for the info! Today I put a new alternator in it and battery. Was not charging and the battery was about ten years old. Starts and stays running excellent. I knew the floor was a rusty so I pulled the seat and below is a picture of the current floor. anyone have ideas on floors. A donor that’s rust free is pretty out of the question I’m in Rochester ny and everything older than ten years old is pretty rotted out. If I can’t find them I’m going to fab them up. Also my brother is a big ford ranger guy. He gave me the old ranger rims and tires that at least hold air and fit right so I threw those on today.

1E393D51-C2EB-42A5-9ACE-47ECDD2384EE.jpeg

275FBEC4-689C-4CA6-915E-14BB6B9D0803.jpeg

30AA9372-C5C3-49B9-94F6-C42B5C503A11.jpeg