Lund Sun Visor

I would like to get my visor installed. Had it repainted a few months ago, but haven’t had time till now. Does anyone with experience with installing this know the part numbers for the bolts and the black plastic caps that go over them? Any tips would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Here is the information on the Lund Visor... if anyone could chime in to verify the part number is indeed for an MJ and not an XJ.

LUND - MPLS MN 55433

PAT D2309705   PN AP3

7524BCBD-4C07-4E2E-BB0D-192783094AEA.jpeg

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but it definitely looks like an MJ one by how tall the sides are.  It just uses self tapping screws.  You can buy hardware kits on eBay.

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but it definitely looks like an MJ one by how tall the sides are.  It just uses self tapping screws.  You can buy hardware kits on eBay.

Awesome I just ordered some, thanks! Do you know if it should be sealed with something like gaskets or a sealant of some kind so water doesn’t get in

I would definitely put some sort of sealant on the screws.  Something that stays flexible.  Silicone would be a good option but DO NOT use silicone that has the strong vinegar smell, this is the acetic acid that is produced when it cures and it will rust metals quickly.  There are many silicone products that don't produce this acid when curing, I just can't think of what they call it right now.

I suppose you could use windshield sealant for it because it's designed for outdoor use and won't rust the metal, the auto parts store should have some.  Just be careful to only seal the screws with it, don't get the visor stuck to the truck.  

One last question, does your visor have the little foam pads for between it and the roof?

On 5/3/2020 at 6:13 AM, Dzimm said:

I would definitely put some sort of sealant on the screws.  Something that stays flexible.  Silicone would be a good option but DO NOT use silicone that has the strong vinegar smell, this is the acetic acid that is produced when it cures and it will rust metals quickly.  There are many silicone products that don't produce this acid when curing, I just can't think of what they call it right now.

I suppose you could use windshield sealant for it because it's designed for outdoor use and won't rust the metal, the auto parts store should have some.  Just be careful to only seal the screws with it, don't get the visor stuck to the truck.  

One last question, does your visor have the little foam pads for between it and the roof?

Yeah being in WA it does rain quite a bit up here. I’ll try to track down a sealant that won’t cause any rust issues.

No it did not come with pads. That would’ve been nice though. Probably less wind vibration and the paint would be in better condition if I were to ever take off the visor. 

Wondering if I should try to seal it from inside? It’d be more work, but think that might be the better way to go

1 minute ago, Ls2xjcomanche said:

Yeah being in WA it does rain quite a bit up here. I’ll try to track down a sealant that won’t cause any rust issues.

No it did not come with pads. That would’ve been nice though. Probably less wind vibration and the paint would be in better condition if I were to ever take off the visor. 

Wondering if I should try to seal it from inside? It’d be more work, but think that might be the better way to go

No seal it on the outside, put the sealant on the hole and run the screw in.  As for the pads, just get some 1" foam weather stripping or something similar, that way it stays separate from your paint.  Any dirt that gets between it and your roof will wear through the paint and cause rust.

4 hours ago, Dzimm said:

No seal it on the outside, put the sealant on the hole and run the screw in.  As for the pads, just get some 1" foam weather stripping or something similar, that way it stays separate from your paint.  Any dirt that gets between it and your roof will wear through the paint and cause rust.

Gotcha... that makes more sense. I’ll give that a try. Thanks, appreciate the advice!

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection time!:grinyes:

Can anybody with a Lund installed advise as to how it reacts at speed going down the freeway?  

Is it stable at 80 mph?

Any leaks in the rain?

Any increased air noise?

I really like the looks of them, and here in the AZ sun they are quite practical; but they are also a bit pricey to buy and try...

TIA.