Gear Mesh Reading

So I have my C8.25 back together finally after putting an LSD carrier in it.  

Proper specs:

Backlash  .006-.008

I'm reading between .006-.007 depending on where measuring on the ring gear which is within spec.  The FSM says to use the lowest reading so according to that, my backlash is .006.  

The mesh on the coast side of the teeth is dead center. 

This is my mesh pattern on the drive side.  What I'm seeing is it's slightly to the outside of center.  The correction for that is to decrease backlash (move ring gear closer to pinion) but to maintain minimum backlash spec.  

IMG_20200314_161446.jpg.012fd7976ae74188477469b6d5e8e3ca.jpg

My question is, I'm already at the bottom of spec for backlash so should I touch it or is it acceptable?  I can't go closer without going under spec.  It's focused just outside center.

I took pictures prior to disassembly but stupidly only have pictures of the coast side..

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

So I have my C8.25 back together finally after putting an LSD carrier in it.  

Proper specs:

Backlash  .006-.008

I'm reading between .006-.007 depending on where measuring on the ring gear which is within spec.  The FSM says to use the lowest reading so according to that, my backlash is .006.  

What was the backlash on the original setup, before you took it apart? And since you don't have pics of the original setup, we don't have a baseline.

Remember, you are not setting up a new set of gears, you're replacing a carrier. Your gears have a wear pattern on them and that's why I and others advised you to carefully check and record what you started with, because the most important thing is to get it back to the same pattern of engagement that you had originally.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

What was the backlash on the original setup, before you took it apart? And since you don't have pics of the original setup, we don't have a baseline.

Remember, you are not setting up a new set of gears, you're replacing a carrier. Your gears have a wear pattern on them and that's why I and others advised you to carefully check and record what you started with, because the most important thing is to get it back to the same pattern of engagement that you had originally.

Original backlash was between .006 and .007 as well and the pattern on the coast side matches the original pictures.

I very much appreciate the advice.  I'm just a dummy and didn't get pictures of the drive side apparently.

The drive side pattern looks like the pinion is a bit too deep but if you haven’t touched your pinion and your backlash is the same then you should be good to go. As Eagle mentioned, you are reusing gears so getting these back to original spec it really the key vs trying to set to new factory spec

29 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The drive side pattern looks like the pinion is a bit too deep but if you haven’t touched your pinion and your backlash is the same then you should be good to go. As Eagle mentioned, you are reusing gears so getting these back to original spec it really the key vs trying to set to new factory spec

Yeah pinion is untouched.  It took about a hundred tries to get the backlash itself within spec/back to where it was, it really liked to favor the tight side of things and when torquing the adjusters to spec it of course changes everything.  With the pattern not running off the heel I am also thinking it's okay.

It's a low pinion axle and from some research, I gathered that the low pinion design tends to walk outward of the ring gear due to its design.  This pattern would make sense given these gears are used.

4 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Yeah pinion is untouched.  It took about a hundred tries to get the backlash itself within spec/back to where it was, it really liked to favor the tight side of things and when torquing the adjusters to spec it of course changes everything.  With the pattern not running off the heel I am also thinking it's okay.

It's a low pinion axle and from some research, I gathered that the low pinion design tends to walk outward of the ring gear due to its design.  This pattern would make sense given these gears are used.

Should be good to go