Question

Hello everyone, new guy here, still learning the ropes.

My ques. is my Jeep has the 2.5L with a 4 speed and it seems like it's really lowed geared, 60mph is all that i will run it, any faster than that just seems to hard on it, I have had it to 70mph and that poor ol engine was just screaming.

Is this normal for a 2.5 4speed?

Hello everyone, new guy here, still learning the ropes.

My ques. is my Jeep has the 2.5L with a 4 speed and it seems like it's really lowed geared, 60mph is all that i will run it, any faster than that just seems to hard on it, I have had it to 70mph and that poor ol engine was just screaming.

Is this normal for a 2.5 4speed?

it's hig geared but under-powered most likely.

the stock gear ratio for that would be 3.55, 4.10's with an ax5 5 speed tranny will get you to 75/80-ish.

it's a stout motor, but not a hellraiser by any means.

I have an '88 2.5L and it also has the 4-speed with 3.54 gears. That was the factory setup. To you youngsters that seems like it's churning a lot of RPMs, but in fact it seems that way only because y'all grew up in an age of overdrive transmissions.

"Back in the day" American Motors routinely sold cars with manual trannies and no overdrive that were geared even steeper than that. My '68 Javelin had 3.15 gears, but the tires were E70/14s -- MUCH smaller diameter than even the relatively small tires that were stock on a 2.5L MJ. My brother's '69 AMX had 3.54 gears -- and the same E70/14 tires as my Javelin. My rig ran to exactly 72 MPH at 3,000 RPM and would run that all day long at 22 miles per gallon. My brother drives faster than I do -- he routinely cruised at 75 MPH, which would have put him at almost 3,400 RPM.

Put in a tach. IMHO as long as you keep your cruise to not much more than 3,000 RPM and try not to go over 4,000 for your shift points and short spurts, you'll be fine.

My 2.5 w/4spd cruised the hwy at 70 & gets the same MPG as my 4L w/auto. It dies when it hits a hill but thats to be expected & why I bought the one w the 4L. With it I need to blow the horn to get the ricers outa the way on the hills. jamminz.gif