tran swap?

Best for the 4.0L has got to be the NV series, but they can be hard to find (TJs and XJs got different versions and the XJ are the ones you want). As CW said, the AX-15 is a great tranny too, just the NV trannys are newer and a bit stronger.

Best for the 2.5/2.8/3.4 is the best condition AX-5 you can find. Or you can go to the effort of tracking down a Dakota 2.5L-to-AX-15 bellhousing and swap an AX-15 into your 86. Search over at pirate4x4.com for a post from the guy that figured out all the details on that. Or you can venture into the territory of Chevy transmissions. I don't know much about all of them, but I do know that the 2.8/3.4 does not need a CPS so you have a greater choice of transmissions. see advanceadapters.com for info on swapping chevy trannys.

Jeep on!

--Pete

It all depends on how many skills you have, and what kinda bank you got. I know of 2 ppl in the club I belong to (both yj's) with the 2.5 and one is running a NP435, and the other is running the NV4550. Both of them have killer crawl ratio. Both have had zero tranny issues after doing that swap.