88 xj resto project

today, i picked up an 88 cherokee for a good price. seems to be in pretty good condition, aside from needing a drive side window, rust on the driver side doors (looks like something was splashed on them and caused corrosion, but fixable), and it doesn't crank right now. it ran up until it wouldn't start, and it turns with a socket on the crank. since it has a new starter and starter relay, it must be either wiring, neutral safty switch, or most likely the ignition switch, since it binds and won't turn far enough to pull out the key. i still have all the parts i could need from 89 parts xj, so shouldn't take much :cheers:

it's fully stock with 4.0, auto, np242, d30 non-disco, and d35. now for a few pics:

2917992_1_full.jpg

2917992_2_full.jpg

2917992_3_full.jpg

2917992_4_full.jpg

today, i picked up an 88 cherokee for a good price. seems to be in pretty good condition, aside from needing a drive side window, rust on the driver side doors (looks like something was splashed on them and caused corrosion, but fixable), and it doesn't crank right now. it ran up until it wouldn't start, and it turns with a socket on the crank. since it has a new starter and starter relay, it must be either wiring, neutral safty switch, or most likely the ignition switch, since it binds and won't turn far enough to pull out the key. i still have all the parts i could need from 89 parts xj, so shouldn't take much :cheers:

Nice find. Should be a good little project. I can't help but wonder on your key problem if yours has the ignition release switch on the column and your not pushing it. Not trying to offend but my son nearly broke the key trying to get it out before I showed him what the little lever on the column was for.

:cheers:

its an auto, so typically they don't have that, but i'll look it over next time i go out to it.

for some good news, it's not the switch. saturday, i didn't get a chance to do much with it by the time i got home and returned the dolly to it's owner (by the way, my mj hauls rather well :thumbsup: ). yesterday, i went out to dig into the wiring, and found within 10 minutes that my problem was the control side ground wire for the starter relay was plugged into the lead that was supose to go to the starter, and vise-versa. after a quick switch around, it now cranks but lacks the amperage to start. i also noticed some corosion on the battery cables, so i'll go through and clean the connections, and then it should be all set :D

• 2 weeks later...

well it runs fine now. after more time, found an intermittent short to ground in the starter solenoid circuit due to missing wiring looms, and that the solenoid intermittently stuck. so i replaced the starter with a spare one from a jeep i parted out, reinstalled wire looms from the same parts jeep, and it starts right up. just needs the drive shaft reinstalled after my towing trip as well as the hood latches (rust makes me ---> :headpop: ).