Sun visor fitment

I used 96 XJ visors on my 89 MJ.  The difference was the center mount of the visors.  This also changed in later MJ's though too.  The headliner I got was from a 91 MJ, and it had matching holes with the 96 XJ, so the visors lined up, I just had to drill new holes in the sheet metal in the middle to mount them.

I used later visors in my 89 MJ, I believe out of 99 XJ plain no mirrors paid five bucks at JY and recovered them myself very easy job and look great. Sheet metal in your 89 is flat at center mounts later XJ's have a protrusion at center for each mount hook so visor hangs level, I added 1/8 thick piece of scrap aluminum approx. 1inch square and JB Weld in place. if doing again I would increase thickness to 3/8. Center hole in headliner board was glassed over before recovering as well as entire board to strengthen. I believe I spent about 40 bucks for entire job as headliner material was donated to me

Thanks for all the help guys.  I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase the later model visors new or just recover mine.  I'm hopefully doing the headliner this weekend and adding a small overhead console from an older Silverado/Tahoe to get map lights and storage for my sunglasses.