Temp Gauge problem.

Hey I have an 88 manche. I just switched the cluster to a 92 xj that had a tach. How do I get the temp gauge to work. the 88 had a idiot light in its place.

your oil pressure sensor is off as well unless you replaced that sending unit.

temp. sending unit is on the head. is it a 4.0? back top corner of the head is the sensor you need to replace.

question...how did you get the electronic speedo to work? cause 92's had electronic speedometers.

make sure the sending unit you get for the temp. is for the 92 year since that's a HO unit, and also you might want to take a look at your fuel gauge...I would be surprised if it is accurate as that would have changed as well.

The speedo is cable driven. I think it'sa 92 only because the guy from ebay said so. It might not be. The oil pressure gauge doesn't work because the cicuit board on the back is broken. So how do I find out what sending unit I need If I don't know the year for sure. Oh and yes its a 4.0. How to you swap the sending unit. Does it require splicing more stinkin wires together? Last question, any special place I should get them?

splicing more wires together? it's a strictly non-splicing swap. direct bolt in of all necessary parts

no, you don't have a 92 gauge cluster, in 91 they went to HO and 92 was electric speedo.

oil pressure sender is right next to the oil filter, and now ya know where the temp is too. rear left side of head on top corner.

go to napa or bumper to bumper, and tell them you need the sending units for oil and temp. from a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 with full gauges. they're both 1-wire sending units.

and if you want, I can send you a working 4.0 gauge cluster for $15 plus shipping, it's a cable-driven one like yours and I can set the mileage to whatever miles your vehicle has on it.

Great I might take you up on that cluster. Next problem. :redX: Front brakes do not release under normal heat conditions. Rear brakes are freed up. front brakes drag. Has new rotors , pads and calipers, new front brake hoses. When I bought the truck and took the wheels off, we found that the calipers were reversed and upside down. So off the top of your head do you think I need new calipers, master cylinder, or a new equalizer valve?

good question...new thread on that so the great minds can help out.

I venture to say your rear proportioning valve isn't working properly, if at all, and should be removed.

I would replace that junction block thingy with one from a cherokee...they are a proportioning valve.

Great I might take you up on that cluster. Next problem. :redX: Front brakes do not release under normal heat conditions. Rear brakes are freed up. front brakes drag. Has new rotors , pads and calipers, new front brake hoses. When I bought the truck and took the wheels off, we found that the calipers were reversed and upside down. So off the top of your head do you think I need new calipers, master cylinder, or a new equalizer valve?

Over the years, Jeep used three different types of rotors and calipers on the XJs and MJs. Only two should apply to the MJ, but if a previous owner didn't know and swapped in parts from a late-model XJ, things could be messed up.

The problem is that the relationship between/among the steering knuckle, hub/bearing unit, caliper and rotor all have to match up. Replace any one of those with a part from the wrong group of years, and the calipers will be off-center on the rotrs, resulting in a drag condition you can't get rid of.

What you need to do, IMHO, is to somehow get access to an XJ or MJ of the same year as yours and compare all those parts (knuckle, hub, caliper and rotor) to be sure that yours are all the correct parts. If anything doesn't match, you'll know where to start replacing.

I'll guess that most likely either the calipers or the rotors (maybe both) are from the wrong year.

The brakes are now fixed. We changed the master cylinder and everything thing works well. Now I went to pull out and my left brake light don't work and neither does the turn signal. So took the bulbs out and replaced them with new ones. with the lense off I noticed it's blinking when i hit the signal but very weakly, same thing with the brake lights. The right set of light work perfectly. Anybody got any suggestions? By the way they were working perfectly earlier today.