86’ gas tank won't drop

So I’m trying to replace the gas tank and fuel pump assembly I had a friend helping that did it on his xj and we disconnected all the fuel lines, we disconnected the filler now hoses from the filler nozzle and we also disconnected the wires for the fuel pump. We struggled to get the plastic cover off the bottom of the tank since I have 3 straps holding it on and the bolts were rusted on and stripped so we took bolt cutters and got the straps off and completely removed from the vehicle. And it still won’t drop... is there anything else that I’m missing that could hold an 18 gal tank with about 5 gal of fuel in it? I need help!

Filler neck hoses are usually what hangs up the tank.  What you say you removed them, did you get them fed back through the frame rail?  

The only other thing I can think of that you didn't mention would be the small vent hoses that come from the top of the tank but they aren't strong enough to hold it up.

34 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Filler neck hoses are usually what hangs up the tank.  What you say you removed them, did you get them fed back through the frame rail?  

The only other thing I can think of that you didn't mention would be the small vent hoses that come from the top of the tank but they aren't strong enough to hold it up.

I didn’t thread them through the frame. I’ll thread those through but the whole tank is up in the air not just a side of it. So that’s why I’m wondering 

4 minutes ago, KatahGii said:

I didn’t thread them through the frame. I’ll thread those through but the whole tank is up in the air not just a side of it. So that’s why I’m wondering 

That's interesting, it may just be rusted to the bed itself.  Kick it from one end and see if it moves.  

On 11/5/2019 at 2:02 AM, Dzimm said:

That's interesting, it may just be rusted to the bed itself.  Kick it from one end and see if it moves.  

So I looked at it again in daylight and it seems to be wedged in between the rear drive shaft and frame is that common?

1 hour ago, KatahGii said:

So I looked at it again in daylight and it seems to be wedged in between the rear drive shaft and frame is that common?

It's tight in there, I believe mine was touching the frame and driveshaft when coming out as well.  As long as the hoses and wiring is disconnected just pry it out since you replacing anyway.